Optics aperture modeling rect functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of a shape T aperture using 2D rect functions with parameters of length b and width a. The origin is taken to be the center of the vertical line. The question suggests the function should be cartesian separable, but the issue lies in knowing how to combine the rect functions through operations. The conversation also considers the expression for the vertical and horizontal lines, with the issue of introducing the unit vector in the y direction. The individual expressions for the vertical and horizontal lines are given, but the question remains on how to combine them.
binbagsss
I am trying to model a shape T aperture through 2D rect functions. Both the horizontal and vertical 'lines' have length b and width a, and do not overlap. The origin should be taken to be the centre of the vertical line.

The question has hinted at the function describing the aperture to be cartesian seperable.

My issues, I think, seem to stem from not knowing how the rect functions can be combined through operations together...

Here are my thoughts on the vertical 'line' :

The RHS of it (to the right of the origin) I believe is: [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex] rect [itex]\frac{y}{b}[/itex] [1]
Similarly the LHS i think is : -[itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex]rect[itex]\frac{y}{b}[/itex]. [2]

My problem is then to express these two together. I am not sure how you define [1] + [2].
Would this be zero?

Perhaps you should multiply them, in which case I get -[itex]\frac{a^{2}}{4}[/itex] rect[itex]^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{y}{b}[/itex]; so to me it then makes more sense to look at [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex] rect[itex]^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{y}{b}[/itex]

Again I'm not sure how you would define a rect[itex]^{2}[/itex] function.

Here are my thoughts on the horizontal 'line' :

First of all, it can not be a single rect function as either the top or bottom line would then be missing.

I think [itex]\frac{b}{2}[/itex] e[itex]_{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex]rect[itex]\frac{x}{b}[/itex] for the bottom half, and ([itex]\frac{b}{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex] )e[itex]_{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{a}{2}[/itex]rect [itex]\frac{x}{b}[/itex] for the top half.

BUT as said above, the question hints towards the function being Cartesian separable, but in describing the horizontal 'line' I have introduced e[itex]_{2}[/itex] - the unit vector in the y direction. This also doesn't look right in general, as isn't rect a scalar ?

Many thanks to anyone who can help shed some light .
!

Physics news on Phys.org
bump?

Related to Optics aperture modeling rect functions

1. What is optics aperture modeling?

Optics aperture modeling refers to the process of creating a mathematical model of the aperture (or opening) in an optical system. This model is used to simulate the behavior of light passing through the aperture, allowing scientists to predict and understand the effects of different aperture sizes and shapes on the resulting image.

2. What is a rect function in optics aperture modeling?

A rect function, short for rectangular function, is a mathematical function that represents a rectangular shape. In optics aperture modeling, it is often used to model the shape of an aperture, as it can easily be adjusted to account for different aperture sizes and shapes.

3. How is optics aperture modeling used in the field of optics?

Optics aperture modeling is used in many aspects of optics, including designing and optimizing optical systems, understanding the effects of different apertures on image quality, and developing new optical technologies. It allows scientists to predict and analyze the behavior of light in complex optical systems, leading to advancements in fields such as microscopy, astronomy, and imaging technology.

4. What are some common applications of optics aperture modeling?

Some common applications of optics aperture modeling include designing and optimizing camera lenses, developing microscopes with high resolution and contrast, simulating the effects of different aperture shapes on solar panels, and predicting the performance of telescopes in different atmospheric conditions. It is also used in fields such as lithography, laser technology, and medical imaging.

5. What are the advantages of using rect functions in optics aperture modeling?

Rect functions offer several advantages in optics aperture modeling, including their ability to easily adjust for different aperture sizes and shapes, their simplicity in representing complex shapes, and their versatility in different mathematical models. They also allow for efficient and accurate simulations of light behavior in optical systems, leading to more precise predictions and advancements in the field of optics.