Optics Books for Beginners - Find the Best One for You

In summary, there are several popular and simplified books in optics, including Hecht, Klein and Furtak, Born and Wolf, and Introduction to Modern Optics by Fowles. Hecht is a well-known author, but some may find his approach overwhelming. Fowles' book requires knowledge of calculus and differential equations, while Hecht's book requires completion of Calc 1-3. The books can be purchased from online retailers such as Amazon or Book Depository.
physics love
hi; I want you help me in choosing books in optics

I am undergraduate student and I want to study the principles or fundamentals of optics

can you tell me the most famous and simplified books in optics

Physics news on Phys.org
well if you have completed Calc 1-3 and differential equations..
Introduction to Modern Optics by Fowles can be an option

Andy Resnick said:
Lots of people use and love Hecht:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pssb.200777708/pdf

There's also Klein and Furtak:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003F8A9A0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Born and Wolf is the standard *graduate* text:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521642221/?tag=pfamazon01-20

thanks a lot Andy Resnick

I also knowed that Hecht is famed but I don't know what is the exactly name of the book or the author??

sorry because I am not european or american

can you tell me the exact name of the book and the author of this book ?

Last edited by a moderator:
physics love said:

I also knowed that Hecht is famed but I don't know what is the exactly name of the book or the author??

I personally dislike Hecht. He's always trying to teach me too much you know? I feel like I'm trying to get my assignment finished and he's trying to change the world one light ray at a time.

Ashuron said:
well if you have completed Calc 1-3 and differential equations..
Introduction to Modern Optics by Fowles can be an option

thanks a lot for your reply

but can u tell me (( Calc 1-3 )) refers to what ?

physics love said:

Oops- sorry, the link I posted was not what it should have been:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805385665/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
uh..have you ever taken any calculus course?
the book is quite elementary but requires multivariable calculus and differential equation

I'm currently using Hecht and I think it's good. I'm going to give you a tip but I have to be a big vague.

If you were to search your favorite "file sharing network" for the keyword "Optics" you might find some nice surprises!

Ashuron said:
uh..have you ever taken any calculus course?
the book is quite elementary but requires multivariable calculus and differential equation

oh no , of course I studied calculus , linear algebra and differential equations

but in arabic language so I don't know (( Calc 1-3 )) refers to what ??

well, it's a Dover book and much cheaper than hecht..
you can try to buy books from bookdepository..free shipping

Related to Optics Books for Beginners - Find the Best One for You

1. What is the difference between optics and optometry?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the properties and behavior of light, while optometry is a branch of medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of eye disorders. Optics is a broad scientific field, while optometry is a specialized medical practice.

2. Do I need a strong background in math and science to understand optics?

While a basic understanding of math and science may be helpful, many optics books for beginners are written in a way that is accessible to those without a strong background in these subjects. These books often include clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts.

3. Can I learn about optics without access to expensive equipment?

Yes, there are many optics books for beginners that focus on the fundamental principles and theories of optics, rather than hands-on experimentation. These books can provide a solid foundation for understanding optics and can be a great starting point for further learning.

4. Are there optics books specifically for beginners?

Yes, there are many optics books that are written specifically for beginners. These books often start with the basics and gradually introduce more complex concepts, making it easier for readers to understand and build upon their knowledge.

5. How do I choose the best optics book for me?

Choosing the best optics book for you will depend on your specific interests and goals. Some books may focus on a specific aspect of optics, such as light or lenses, while others may provide a more comprehensive overview. It can be helpful to read reviews and browse through sample chapters to find a book that aligns with your learning style and interests.