Optics: Electric fields, beams, irradiance

In summary, the question involves calculating the energy of an electromagnetic wave with a magnetic field of 265 mG confined to a beam with a diameter of .75mm. The maximum electric field is found to be 7950 N/c and the irradiance is 83941.14 W/m^2. The beam power is then calculated by multiplying the irradiance by the beam area, and the beam energy is obtained by dividing the beam power by one second. The size of the photodetector, which has an active area with a diameter of 5 cm, does not affect the energy measurement as it is larger than the beam.
blorpinbloo

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic wave in a vacuum /w magnetic field of 265 mG.

If the wave is spatially confined to a beam with a diameter of .75mm, how much energy is measured by a photodetector with an active area with diameter 5 cm in one second.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is one part of the question, but its the only one that has me stuck. I found the max electric field to be 7950 N/c, and the irradiance I found to be 83941.14 W/m^2. I know that irradiance is power/area, so to get the beam power, I'd take 83941.14*(pi*(.00075/2)^2). Then power is energy per unit time, so I'd just divide by one second to get the beam energy. The confusion comes when the photodetector comes into play. I'm not sure how the active area of the photodetector affects the energy that it reads. This is where I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the detector is larger than the beam, it receives the full energy of the beam.

If the detector were smaller than the beam, you would have to figure out what fraction of the beam energy actually hits the detector. (But for this problem you do not need to do this.)

Related to Optics: Electric fields, beams, irradiance

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds a charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It is typically represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How are electric fields used in optics?

Electric fields play a crucial role in the study of optics, as they are responsible for the behavior of light as it passes through different materials. The interaction between electric fields and matter determines the properties of materials such as refractive index, which affects how light is bent as it travels through them.

3. What is a beam of light?

A beam of light is a concentrated stream of photons, also known as electromagnetic radiation. It can be thought of as a bundle of individual light waves traveling together in a specific direction. Beams of light can vary in intensity, direction, and wavelength, depending on their source and the medium through which they travel.

4. What is irradiance in optics?

In optics, irradiance refers to the amount of light energy per unit area that is incident on a surface. It is commonly measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is used to quantify the intensity of light in a given area. Irradiance can vary depending on the source of light and the distance from the source to the surface.

5. How does the speed of light relate to electric fields?

The speed of light in a vacuum is directly related to the strength of the electric field. This relationship is described by the famous equation, c = 1/√(ε0μ0), where c is the speed of light, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and μ0 is the permeability of free space. This equation shows that the speed of light is dependent on the properties of the medium, which are influenced by electric fields.