Optics Help: Lens and Mirror Specs for 100m Image

• Thread starter ashwin33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the person is trying to build an optical device that can view images at different angles using a split beam mirror or prism. They are wondering if the device can be used with natural sunlight and if the lens specifications for cameras and binoculars are the same. They are also asking about the pros and cons of using a split prism or mirror and if there are other ways to split the natural light beam. The person also has a limited working space and is unsure about the significance of the numbers 18mm, 34mm, and 55mm in relation to lens specifications. They are looking for a variable lens with a range of 18mm to 55mm.
ashwin33

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/2301/82412829.jpg

for image situated at 100 metres distance from the lens and need to reflect the image that is captured form the lens using a mirror
so that their will be clear visiblity of the the obj
what should be the specifications of the lens
what should be the mirror specifications & will their be any problem in clarity of the image if i use a split beam mirror
and what will be advantages using a spit beam mirror or a prism beam spliter

Homework Equations

actually i am not belonging to this subject
but in my case i need to copy some equations for net. which i don't want to

The Attempt at a Solution

p.s: this is not any home work problem... this will be help full in my work

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ashwin33 said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/2301/82412829.jpg

for image situated at 100 metres distance from the lens and need to reflect the image that is captured form the lens using a mirror
so that their will be clear visiblity of the the obj
what should be the specifications of the lens
what should be the mirror specifications & will their be any problem in clarity of the image if i use a split beam mirror
and what will be advantages using a spit beam mirror or a prism beam spliter

Homework Equations

actually i am not belonging to this subject
but in my case i need to copy some equations for net. which i don't want to

The Attempt at a Solution

p.s: this is not any home work problem... this will be help full in my work

Welcome to the PF.

How will this be helpful in your work? What are you trying to build?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for ur welcome

i am a freelance trying to make a optical device which will be able to see image at certain angles apart form line of sight so that the image be viewed at 2 angles at the given point of time (i.e: line of sight and 45 deg from line of sight ) using split beam mirror or prism

and one more question
i can only see images and some information regarding split beam ..in every image it is used with laser ..will it be useful if i use it with natural sun light?

ashwin33 said:
thanks for ur welcome

i am a freelance trying to make a optical device which will be able to see image at certain angles apart form line of sight so that the image be viewed at 2 angles at the given point of time (i.e: line of sight and 45 deg from line of sight ) using split beam mirror or prism

and one more question
i can only see images and some information regarding split beam ..in every image it is used with laser ..will it be useful if i use it with natural sun light?

Sounds a bit like a Heads-Up Display arrangement?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heads_up_display

berkeman said:
Sounds a bit like a Heads-Up Display arrangement?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heads_up_display

not exactly but yes
it the same principle used for autocollimator also

actually i made a basic POC using a mirror and normal glass (it works)

now my problem is
are the lens used in cameras and the lens used in binoculars same?
what are the possible lens specifications to be use for a to veiw a object at a distance of 100m
and what are the pros and cons of spilt prism and split mirror , what will be the quality of the image?
and is there any other way to split the natural light beam apart form the above mentioned ways

and i have a confined space (my working space is 6-10 inches max)

Focal_length.jpg

what is this 18mm ,34mm and 55 mm is this the distance between lens and image or some thing else?
i can only find least difference in bigger bottle ...
can i have a varible lens that has a range of 18mm-55mm

Last edited:

Related to Optics Help: Lens and Mirror Specs for 100m Image

1. What is the difference between focal length and focal point?

Focal length refers to the distance between the center of a lens or mirror and its focal point. The focal point is the point where parallel light rays converge after passing through the lens or reflecting off the mirror.

2. How do I calculate the magnification of a lens or mirror?

Magnification can be calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance. This can be represented by the equation M = -d_i/d_o, where M is the magnification, d_i is the image distance, and d_o is the object distance.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex lens?

A concave lens is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to spread out and diverge. A convex lens is thicker at the center and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge at a focal point.

4. How does the shape of a mirror affect the image formed?

The shape of a mirror determines the type of image formed. A concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images, while a convex mirror can only produce virtual images. The size and orientation of the image also depend on the curvature of the mirror.

5. What factors affect the quality of an image formed by a lens or mirror?

The quality of an image can be affected by various factors, including the curvature and surface smoothness of the lens or mirror, the wavelength of light, and any imperfections or defects in the material. The distance between the object and the lens or mirror can also impact the image's sharpness and clarity.