Optics - Images with two convave mirrors

In summary, in order to get a single image from two mirrors of equal focal length, the distance between the two mirrors must be equal to the distance between the point source and the first mirror.
kihr

Homework Statement

Two concave mirrors of equal focal length f are placed a distance d apart in air. A point source is placed midway between the two mirrors. What should d be so as to get only a single image?

Homework Equations

Mirror formula (1/f = 1/u + 1/v)

The Attempt at a Solution

The image distance v1 of the first mirror is calculated using the mirror formula.
1/-f = -2/d + 1/v1
1/v1 = 2/d - 1/f
v1 = df/2f - d
Similarly the image distance v2 of the same object from the second mirror is
v2 = df/2f -d (distances measured from the pole of the second mirror)
The distance of the image formed by the second mirror from the pole of the first mirror is

v3 = d - v2
= d - df/2f -d
= df - d*2 / 2f - d

If the images formed by the two mirrors are to coincide

v1 = v3
df / 2f - d = df - d*2 / 2f - d
This leads to d =0 which is not possible. I would like to know where I have gone wrong. The answer given in the book is 2f and 4f.

Physics news on Phys.org

In a concave mirror, if you keep an object on the focus the image will be at infinity, and if you keep it at 2f, the image will be on the object i.e. at 2f. So d should be ...?

Yes in this case the answer should be 4f (i.e. 2f + 2f), and 2f should not be one of the solutions as given in the book. Would you also let me know in what way I have erred in applying the mirror formula to solve the problem. Thanks.

kihr said:
Yes in this case the answer should be 4f (i.e. 2f + 2f), and 2f should not be one of the solutions as given in the book. Would you also let me know in what way I have erred in applying the mirror formula to solve the problem. Thanks.
2f is also the correct answer. Because if you keep the object on the focus of the first mirror, the reflected rays from that mirror will be parallel. These parallel rays fall on the second mirror which reflect them back to the focus.

Thanks a lot.

FAQ: Optics - Images with two convave mirrors

1. How do two concave mirrors create an image?

When light rays from an object hit a concave mirror, they are reflected and converge at a point in front of the mirror known as the focal point. When a second concave mirror is placed in front of the first one, the reflected light rays from the first mirror become the incident rays for the second mirror. These incident rays are then reflected and converge at a second focal point, creating an upright and magnified image between the two mirrors.

2. Why is the image produced by two concave mirrors magnified?

The image produced by two concave mirrors is magnified because the reflected light rays are converging at a point closer to the observer than the actual object. This causes the image to appear larger and closer to the observer, resulting in a magnification effect.

3. Can two concave mirrors produce a virtual image?

No, two concave mirrors can only produce a real image. This is because the light rays are actually converging at a point in space, rather than appearing to come from a point behind the mirror. A virtual image is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror, which is not possible with two concave mirrors.

4. What happens to the image when the two concave mirrors are placed very close together?

When the two concave mirrors are placed very close together, the image formed between them becomes larger and more distorted. This is because the light rays are reflecting off of each mirror multiple times, causing an increase in magnification and distortion.

5. How does the distance between the two concave mirrors affect the image produced?

The distance between the two concave mirrors greatly affects the image produced. When the mirrors are closer together, the image becomes larger and more distorted. As the mirrors are moved further apart, the image becomes smaller and clearer. This is due to the angle at which the light rays are reflecting off of the mirrors, which changes as the distance between them changes.