Optics, intensity of transmitted wave, polarization

In summary, optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its properties. The intensity of a transmitted wave is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²). Polarization of light refers to the direction of oscillation of the electric field component and can affect its interactions with materials and transmission. Optics and polarization have practical applications in telecommunications, medicine, imaging technology, and everyday devices such as cameras and microscopes.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A linearly polarized wave incidates over a surface of a material with a higher refractive index than the incident media one. See picture for clarification. The polarization is such that the E field isn't perpendicular nor parallel to the plane of incidence. Rather, it's making an angle of 45° with it so it has a component that lies inside the plane of incidence and another one that is perpendicular to it, both have the same modulus, namely [tex]E/ \sqrt 2[/tex] if I didn't misunderstood the picture we had in the exam. (I'm writing the problem out of my memory and drawing their sketch is simply too hard so I just explain what it consist of).
1)Determine the intensity of the reflected wave if the intensity of the incident wave is [tex]I_0[/tex].
2)For what value of [tex]\theta _i[/tex] is the intensity of the reflected wave minimum?

Homework Equations

Fresnel equations I believe.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)I look at Hecht's book on Optics, page 345 (third edition I think). He writes [tex]R_{\parallel } = \frac{\tan ^2 (\theta _i - \theta _t)}{\tan ^2 (\theta _i + \theta _t))}[/tex] while [tex]R_{\perp } = \frac{\sin ^2 (\theta _i - \theta _t)}{\sin ^2 (\theta _i + \theta _t))}[/tex] and that [tex]R=\frac{R_{\parallel}+R_{\perp}}{2}[/tex]. Using the fact that [tex]R=\frac{I_r}{I_0}[/tex] and using Snell's law for [tex]\theta _t[/tex], I reach that [tex]I_r=\frac{I_0}{2} \left ( \frac{\tan ^2 (\theta _i - \arcsin \left ( \frac{n_1\sin \theta _i}{n_2} \right ) )}{\tan ^2 (\theta _i + \arcsin \left ( \frac{n_1\sin \theta _i}{n_2} \right ))} + \frac{\sin ^2 (\theta _i - \arcsin \left ( \frac{n_1\sin \theta _i}{n_2}}{\sin ^2 (\theta _i + \arcsin \left ( \frac{n_1\sin \theta _i}{n_2})} \right ) \right ) [/tex].
2)I must find the value of [tex]\theta _i[/tex] that minimizes the expression I got in 1). In my exam I said [tex]I_r[/tex] vanishes for [tex]\theta _i=0[/tex] (and I wrote it did NOT convince me, I was expecting something similar to Brewster's angle) since the numerator is worth 0. However I got 0 in my exam and now I realize that the denominator also vanishes so it's not that easy to minimize.
-------------------------------------------------
Since I got no point for this exercise, it means I did it all wrong. I'd like to know what I did wrong and how to solve the problem.
Thank you very much for your time and help.

Attachments

• out2.jpg
    out2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your detailed explanation of the problem and your attempt at a solution. It seems like you are on the right track with using the Fresnel equations to solve this problem. However, there are a few mistakes in your calculations that may have led to the incorrect solution.

Firstly, in your calculation for the intensity of the reflected wave, you have used the wrong expression for the reflection coefficients. The correct expressions are R_{\parallel} = \frac{\tan ^2 (\theta _i - \theta _t)}{\tan ^2 (\theta _i + \theta _t)} and R_{\perp} = \frac{\sin ^2 (\theta _i - \theta _t)}{\sin ^2 (\theta _i + \theta _t)}. You have mixed up the signs in the denominator, which will affect the final result.

Secondly, in your expression for the intensity of the reflected wave, you have used the wrong expression for the angle of transmission, \theta _t. It should be \arcsin \left ( \frac{n_1\sin \theta _i}{n_2} \right ) instead of \arcsin \left ( \frac{n_1\sin \theta _i}{n_2} \right )). This will also affect the final result.

Finally, when finding the minimum value of the reflected intensity, you should take the derivative of the expression with respect to \theta _i and set it equal to 0, rather than trying to find a value of \theta _i that makes the numerator 0. This will give you a more accurate and precise value for \theta _i.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem correctly. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

Related to Optics, intensity of transmitted wave, polarization

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its properties, including its behavior and interactions with matter.

2. How is the intensity of a transmitted wave measured?

The intensity of a transmitted wave is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²). This measurement is obtained by dividing the power (in watts) of the wave by the area (in square meters) through which it is passing.

3. What is polarization of light?

Polarization refers to the direction of oscillation of the electric field component of a light wave. Light can be polarized in different orientations, such as horizontal, vertical, or circular, depending on the direction of the electric field's oscillations.

4. How does the polarization of light affect its properties?

The polarization of light can affect its properties in various ways, including how it interacts with different materials and how it is transmitted or reflected. For example, polarized sunglasses work by filtering out certain orientations of polarized light, reducing glare and improving visibility.

5. What are some practical applications of optics and polarization?

Optics and polarization have numerous practical applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, medicine, and imaging technology. For instance, they are used in fiber optic cables for high-speed data transmission, in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and ultrasound, and in polarizing filters for photography and film. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of many everyday devices, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.