Optimal File Types for DVD Conversion: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter blimkie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Winavi to convert ripped DVDs to various formats, including MPEG. The person is having trouble with their DVD player not reading the discs and is considering using a different file type. It is mentioned that using a transcoder may be a better option, but the person is cautioned against copyright infringement. They are advised to do their own research or use Google to find a suitable transcoder.
blimkie
so i have a few ripped dvds, fight club, pulp fiction etc.
anyways I am using winavi to convert .avi files to mpeg dvd vcd etc
besides converting the files to dvd which then require my to burn dvds which I am out of what type of file should i convert to MPEG? i have been converting to mpeg but a few my other dvd played won't read the disk is there any better file type to sue before i go experimenting and wasting anymore cds? or is it time for a new dvd player:-p

Computer science news on Phys.org
The avi files you download aren't raw avi files, they are divx/xvid encoded. You'll need some type of transcoder.

It is probably easier just to acquire the dvd images instead of just the plain avi files. Of course the dvd images are going to be around 4GB.

could u sugest the name of a transcoder

No, I can't give you details. What your doing is copyright infringement. You'll have to find that out for yourself.

google is your friend.

Last edited:

Related to Optimal File Types for DVD Conversion: A Scientist's Perspective

1. What are the most common file types used for documents?

The most common file types used for documents are .doc or .docx for Microsoft Word, .pdf for Adobe Acrobat, and .txt for plain text documents.

2. What is the difference between a file extension and a file format?

A file extension is the letters or characters at the end of a file name that indicate the type of file it is. A file format refers to the way the data is encoded and stored within the file, and different file formats may have different file extensions.

3. Can I convert a file from one format to another?

Yes, there are many file conversion tools available that allow you to convert a file from one format to another. However, some file formats may not be compatible with certain conversion tools.

4. Are there any risks associated with opening a file with an unknown file extension?

Yes, opening a file with an unknown file extension can potentially introduce viruses or malware onto your computer. It is important to have proper antivirus software and to only open files from trusted sources.

5. How can I determine the file type of a file?

The file type of a file can usually be determined by looking at the file extension at the end of the file name. You can also right-click on the file and select "Properties" to see information about the file type. There are also online tools available that can help identify file types if you are unsure.