Optimal way to turn off a triac

• Thread starter thankz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using a triac to turn on mains power with an opto-isolator, but the person is unsure about how to turn it off and does not want to use a relay or a bjt. They are asking for advice and resources on how to make a solid state relay using a triac, and the conversation includes discussions about reading datasheets and understanding triacs. The person eventually decides to use a triac with a commutating circuit to turn it off mid-cycle.
thankz
I'm trying to use a triac to turn on mains power (fused) with and opto-isolator but what is a good method to turn it off, high on low off, I'm not trying to short the mains or use a bjt on high power ac. if someone could give me a hint i'll figure it out from there.

thanks.:biggrin:

edit: no relays

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are asking how to make a solid state relay.

upload_2015-5-25_0-47-39.png

Just google "triac light switch" and look at the images to find one that looks like what you want to do.

I was just illustrating the concept. It helps if you don't keep secrets in the original post.

Did you look at figure 5,6, or 7 in the moc3020 datsheet you linked to?

Or, try figure 12 in the datasheet for the part you just posted a circuit for.
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/MO/MOC3041M.pdf

It shows how to use the optically isolated driver to drive a power triac, which is what you need to do.

Have you read anything about triacs? Maybe this will help.
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/triac.html

Here is a "make your own solid state relay" tutorial.
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/38000

Last edited by a moderator:
although I haven't read about triacs in a while I know their not what I want to use, half conduction was not what I was looking for, plus theirs still the problem with turning them off and just briefly looking at the datasheets and tuts about them they come with to many problems that I just don't feel like dealing with right now. this may be a dumb question but what do those figures have to do with anything?

? half conduction ? turn them off ?

maybe you need to read a little about triacs.
They're bidirectional.
They turn themselves off, just remove drive and wait for next sinewave zero crossing.

If you want to turn it off mid-cycle you'll have to add a commutating circuit.

Related to Optimal way to turn off a triac

What is a triac and why is it important to turn it off?

A triac is a type of electronic switch that is used to control alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is important to turn off a triac properly to prevent damage to the circuit and ensure safe operation.

What are the potential risks of not turning off a triac correctly?

If a triac is not turned off properly, it can lead to electrical arcing, overheating, and potentially damaging the circuit or causing a fire. It can also cause interference with other electronic devices.

What is the optimal way to turn off a triac?

The optimal way to turn off a triac is to use a zero-crossing detection circuit, which waits for the AC signal to reach zero before turning off the triac. This minimizes the risk of electrical arcing and interference.

Are there any alternatives to using a zero-crossing detection circuit?

Yes, you can also use a snubber circuit to turn off a triac. A snubber circuit is designed to absorb the excess energy in the circuit and prevent it from damaging the triac or other components.

Are there any safety precautions to take when turning off a triac?

Yes, it is important to make sure the circuit is properly grounded and that you are using appropriate safety equipment such as insulated gloves and goggles. It is also recommended to test the circuit after turning off the triac to ensure it is functioning correctly.