Optimization find dimensions problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the dimensions of a poster with the smallest area given fixed top and bottom margins of 6 cm and side margins of 4 cm. The equation (a-6)(b-4)=384 is used to solve for a and substitute it into the area formula A=ab, resulting in the equation A(b)=\frac{360b+6b^{2}}{b-4}. After taking the derivative and solving for b, the incorrect solution of b=20 and a=30 is obtained. The mistake is identified as not taking into account the two horizontal and two vertical margins in the initial equation.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

The top and bottom margins of a poster are each 6 cm and the side margins are each 4 cm. If the area of printed material on the poster is fixed at 384 cm2, find the dimensions of the poster with the smallest area.

Homework Equations

Area of a rectangle is length times width

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed that the 384 cm2 formed a constraint like so:

[tex] (a-6)(b-4)=384[/tex]

and then using this equation I solved for a to be able to substitute it into the area formula:

[tex] ab-4a-6b+24=384 [/tex]

[tex] ab-4a=360+6b [/tex]

[tex] a(b-4)=360+6b [/tex]

[tex] a= \frac {360+6b}{b-4} [/tex]

so then i can substitute a in A=ab so that A will be a function of b:

[tex] A=ab [/tex]

[tex] A=\frac{360+6b}{b-4} b [/tex]

[tex] A(b)=\frac{360b+6b^{2}}{b-4} [/tex]

ok, so then i take the derivative of this A(b) now which turns out to be:

[tex] A'(b)=\frac {6b^{2}-48b-1440}{(b-4)^{2}} [/tex]

then i take the top, complete the square and then set it equal to zero:

[tex] 6(b-4)^{2}-1536 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 6(b-4)^{2} = 1536 [/tex]

[tex] (b-4)^{2} = 256 [/tex]

[tex] b-4 = \sqrt{256}= \pm 16 [/tex]

[tex] b= \pm 16 +4 [/tex]

I chose to leave out the negative square root as it makes no sense when we are talking about lenth, so with b=20, take that back and plug it into the a=b equation:

[tex] a = \frac {360+6(20)} {20-4} = 30 [/tex]

and I get a = 20 and b=30 and if you take off the margins and multiply them at 16*24 you get 384 cm2, but alas, this is not correct. Where did I go wrong at?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

The top and bottom margins of a poster are each 6 cm and the side margins are each 4 cm. If the area of printed material on the poster is fixed at 384 cm2, find the dimensions of the poster with the smallest area.

Homework Equations

Area of a rectangle is length times width

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed that the 384 cm2 formed a constraint like so:

[tex] (a-6)(b-4)=384[/tex]

and then using this equation I solved for a to be able to substitute it into the area formula:

[tex] ab-4a-6b+24=384 [/tex]

[tex] ab-4a=360+6b [/tex]

[tex] a(b-4)=360+6b [/tex]

[tex] a= \frac {360+6b}{b-4} [/tex]

so then i can substitute a in A=ab so that A will be a function of b:

[tex] A=ab [/tex]

[tex] A=\frac{360+6b}{b-4} b [/tex]

[tex] A(b)=\frac{360b+6b^{2}}{b-4} [/tex]

ok, so then i take the derivative of this A(b) now which turns out to be:

[tex] A'(b)=\frac {6b^{2}-48b-1440}{(b-4)^{2}} [/tex]

then i take the top, complete the square and then set it equal to zero:

[tex] 6(b-4)^{2}-1536 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 6(b-4)^{2} = 1536 [/tex]

[tex] (b-4)^{2} = 256 [/tex]

[tex] b-4 = \sqrt{256}= \pm 16 [/tex]

[tex] b= \pm 16 +4 [/tex]

I chose to leave out the negative square root as it makes no sense when we are talking about lenth, so with b=20, take that back and plug it into the a=b equation:

[tex] a = \frac {360+6(20)} {20-4} = 30 [/tex]

and I get a = 20 and b=30 and if you take off the margins and multiply them at 16*24 you get 384 cm2, but alas, this is not correct. Where did I go wrong at?
Right near the beginning (emphasis added).
The top and bottom margins of a poster are each 6 cm and the side margins are each 4 cm.

Your equation (a - 6)(a - 4) = 384 doesn't take into account the two horizontal and two vertical margins.

thanks, came out right this time, now i got another question posted though... lol

Related to Optimization find dimensions problem

1. What is the "Optimization find dimensions problem"?

The "Optimization find dimensions problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best possible solution for a given set of constraints. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science, where there is a need to maximize or minimize a specific objective function while considering various limitations.

2. What are the common techniques used for solving the "Optimization find dimensions problem"?

The most commonly used techniques for solving the "Optimization find dimensions problem" include linear programming, dynamic programming, genetic algorithms, and gradient descent. These methods involve finding the optimal solution by evaluating and comparing different possible solutions.

3. What are the key steps involved in solving the "Optimization find dimensions problem"?

The key steps involved in solving the "Optimization find dimensions problem" include defining the problem, identifying the objective function, setting the constraints, determining the appropriate optimization technique, and finally, evaluating and refining the solution until the optimal result is achieved.

4. What are some real-world applications of the "Optimization find dimensions problem"?

The "Optimization find dimensions problem" has various real-world applications, such as determining the optimal production levels in manufacturing, designing efficient transportation routes, allocating resources in project management, and optimizing investment portfolios in finance.

5. What are the potential challenges in solving the "Optimization find dimensions problem"?

Some of the potential challenges in solving the "Optimization find dimensions problem" include dealing with complex and non-linear problems, considering multiple constraints and objectives, and finding an optimal solution within a limited time frame. It also requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to translate real-world problems into mathematical equations.