Optimization largest possible volume problem

In summary, to find the largest possible volume of a cylinder inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r, you need to solve for the height of the cylinder in terms of its radius and then use substitution or Lagrange multipliers to optimize the volume. This can be done by drawing a vertical slice of the cone, using trigonometry to derive the relationship between cylinder height and base radius.
pynergee

Homework Statement

A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

Volume of a cylinder = (pi)(r^2)h
Volume of a cone = (1/3)(pi)(r^2)h

Homework Equations

Volume of a cylinder = (pi)(r^2)h
Volume of a cone = (1/3)(pi)(r^2)h

The Attempt at a Solution

Technically this is my roommate's problem, he is in Calc1. He has been having some problems with this one, and I'm in Differential Equations, and I can't remember how to really do this one. I know you want to find the derivative of the cylinder, and find when it is equal to zero, but I am stumped on how to approach the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
solve for the height of the cylinder in terms of its radius then look at optimisation through substitution or lagrange multipliers

I know that, but how? Would you use similar triangles or something like that?

you could do that...

draw a vertical slice of the cone thorough its centre. The cone appears as an isoceles triangle, whilst the cylinder is a rectangle inscribed in the triangle. Use some trig to derive the relation between cylinder height & base

FAQ: Optimization largest possible volume problem

1. What is the "Optimization largest possible volume problem"?

The optimization largest possible volume problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum volume of a three-dimensional shape given certain constraints, such as a fixed surface area or a limited amount of material. The goal is to find the dimensions of the shape that will result in the largest possible volume.

2. Why is finding the largest possible volume important?

Finding the largest possible volume is important in many real-world applications, such as designing containers, packaging, and storage solutions. It can also help in maximizing the efficiency and effectiveness of various processes, such as chemical reactions and fluid dynamics.

3. What are the common techniques used to solve the optimization largest possible volume problem?

The most common techniques used to solve this problem include calculus, specifically the method of Lagrange multipliers, and geometric methods such as the use of ratios and proportions.

4. What are some common constraints in the optimization largest possible volume problem?

Some common constraints in this problem include limited surface area, a fixed amount of material, and fixed dimensions for one or more sides of the shape. Other constraints may include cost, weight, and specific design requirements.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the optimization largest possible volume problem?

Yes, the optimization largest possible volume problem has many real-world applications, such as designing shipping containers, maximizing the storage capacity of warehouses, and optimizing the performance of chemical reactions in industrial processes. It can also be used in designing products with maximum efficiency, such as solar panels and wind turbines.