Optimization of ellipsoid tube

In summary, the conversation discusses solving problem 2b) in an assignment involving finding the optimal ellipse eccentricity for a constant area and smallest circumference. The conversation mentions using the Hudson equation and suggests leaving the height constant for later. It also suggests approximating the circumference of an ellipse with symmetric polygons and comparing it to a regular polygon of the same area. The conversation concludes by stating that finding the circumference directly is difficult.
synergix

Homework Statement

Problem 2 b) in the following link

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~haber/courses/math253/Welcome_files/asgn4.pdf"

Homework Equations

V=pi(r1r2)H
SA=?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I should form two equations V=10=pi(r1r2)h and then an equation for the surface area and then optimize the two. However, the equation for circumference of an ellipse seems to be something of a troublesome thing. Should I pick an equation that I think will be the best? Such as the Hudson equation? I have never heard of the Hudson equation before but I found it here: (http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/geometry/ellipsecirc/)

Thank you for taking the time to look this over!:approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the assignment says to be creative. Think about fixing the height and finding the shape of the ellipse of constant area having the smallest circumference.
HINT: what happens to the circumference as the eccentricity becomes large and the ellipse flattens towards two parallel lines? What is the opposite case?

Well I know from experience that a circular cylinder will have the maximum volume. I am also pretty sure it will have the smallest circumference. If this is correct then now I must show it? At what value would I fix h? Do I just leave it as a constant and find it later after I know the optimum values of r1 relative to r2?

Yes, I'd just leave h for later and concentrate on finding the optimal ellipse eccentricity (that is, highest ratio of area to circumference). You experience is pointing to the right answer.

So in order to do this I need to find circumference as a function of r1 and r2. i am not sure how I should do this.

I have surface area= 2Ch(pi)r1r1. I need an equation for circumference and I don't think solving the previous equation for C is a good idea.

I have a few thoughts upon reading this question, some may be useful and some may not.
  1. Your solution can rely on a special case of the isoperimetric problem.
  2. For an intuitive way to see that the circle has smallest circumference, see marcusl's first comment.
  3. One way to prove this directly may be to approximate the circumference of an ellipse with the perimeter appropriately symmetric, stretched regular polygons, and compare the perimeter to that of the regular polygon approximating the same area circle.
The last choice appears to me at the moment being tricky to apply. However, you are right that this is the key result. Finding the circumference of the ellipse directly is, as you've found, intractable.

Related to Optimization of ellipsoid tube

1. What is an ellipsoid tube?

An ellipsoid tube is a geometric shape that resembles a tube, but with an ellipsoid cross-section. It is created by rotating an ellipse around its major axis.

2. Why would one want to optimize an ellipsoid tube?

Optimizing an ellipsoid tube can lead to improvements in its strength, stability, or other desired properties. It can also help to reduce material usage or production costs.

3. How is the optimization of an ellipsoid tube typically performed?

The optimization of an ellipsoid tube can be done using mathematical techniques such as analytical or numerical methods. Computer-aided design (CAD) software can also be used to simulate and optimize the shape.

4. What are some practical applications of optimized ellipsoid tubes?

Optimized ellipsoid tubes have various applications in engineering, such as in the design of pressure vessels, pipes, and structural components in aerospace and automotive industries. They can also be used in medical devices and sports equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to optimizing an ellipsoid tube?

Some limitations to optimizing an ellipsoid tube include the complexity of the optimization process, as well as the material and manufacturing constraints. The desired properties of the tube must also be clearly defined and balanced to achieve the best optimization results.