Optimization Problem about a Lean-To

In summary, a lean-to with a wooden floor, 10 feet high open front, wooden side and back walls, and a wooden roof tilted at a 45 degree angle can be constructed with a maximum floor area of 300 square feet. To find the dimensions, an equation needs to be created that relates the two variables x and y, taking into account the slant height and the difference in height between the front and back of the roof. The equation would be x * y = floor area. As the roof gets longer, the wood used for the roof increases faster than the gain in floor area.
xcolleenx
Here is what what written about this Lean-To:
A lean-to has a wooden floor, a 10 feet high open front, wooden side and back walls, and a wooden roof that tilts down at an angle of 45 degrees. What are the dimensions of the lean-to with the largest possible floor area that can be constructed with 300 square feet of wood?

|\
|45degrees in this top corner
| \
10ft | \
| \
| |
front |____| back

Tried to draw a picture...

Ok the first thing i need to do is express the floor area as a function of two variables. I know this. The floor is a simple rectangle so I will call the area xy. Next i need to "find an equation relating the two variables x and y." This is where I am having trouble. A hint was given that reads: "The roof is still a rectangle. You will need to find how much lower the back is than the front. You will also need to find the "slant height" of the roof. The sides are trapezoids. You may want to view them as a triangle on top of a rectangle."

I am having trouble doing this second part. If i can get help with this i solve the rest of this problem. Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply need an equation that describes the projected floor area of the roof.
This is simply the horizontal distance from the wall to the edge of the roof * the width.
The floor area is this distance * width.

You know the area of the roof and how much wood it uses, and the area of the floor.
As you make the roof longer you use up wood for the roof faster than you gain floor area.

Related to Optimization Problem about a Lean-To

1. What is an optimization problem about a lean-to?

An optimization problem about a lean-to is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best possible solution for constructing a lean-to structure, typically with limited resources or constraints.

2. What factors are typically considered in an optimization problem about a lean-to?

Factors such as the desired size and shape of the lean-to, the available materials and resources, the location and terrain of the construction site, and any regulatory or safety requirements are often considered in an optimization problem about a lean-to.

3. How is an optimization problem about a lean-to solved?

An optimization problem about a lean-to is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as linear programming, dynamic programming, or heuristics. These methods help to determine the most efficient and effective way to construct the lean-to based on the given constraints and objectives.

4. Can an optimization problem about a lean-to have multiple solutions?

Yes, an optimization problem about a lean-to can have multiple solutions. This is because there may be different combinations of materials, designs, and construction methods that can meet the given objectives. The best solution will depend on the specific needs and priorities of the project.

5. How is an optimization problem about a lean-to useful in real-life scenarios?

An optimization problem about a lean-to can be useful in real-life scenarios such as construction planning and budgeting, disaster relief efforts, and design and development of sustainable housing solutions. By finding the most efficient and effective way to build a lean-to, resources can be conserved and the overall project can be completed more successfully.