Optimization Problem involving a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses how to cut a piece of wire to create a square and an equilateral triangle with the maximum and minimum enclosed areas. They use equations to represent the length and height of each shape and use arithmetic to simplify the equations and find the optimal cut for the wire. The conversation also mentions a trick for simplifying equations with terms like a+√b in the denominator.
frosty8688
1. A piece of wire 10 m long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into a square and the other is bent into an equilateral triangle. How should the wire be cut so that the total area enclosed is (a) a maximum? (b) A minimum?

2. [itex]A_{s}(x) = x^{2}, A_{t}(x)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}x^{2}[/itex]

3. The first equation is the length of the side of a square and the second is the length of a side of an equilateral triangle and the height of the triangle.[itex]L_{s}=\frac{x}{4}, L_{s2}=\frac{10-x}{3}, h=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6} (10-x), A(x)=\frac{x^{2}}{16}+\frac{1}{6}(10-x)*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}(10-x) = \frac{x^{2}}{16}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{36}(10-x)^{2}; A'(x)=\frac{x}{8}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}(10-x); x= \frac{\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{9}}{\frac{1}{8}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{18}}=\frac{\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{9}}{\frac{1}{4}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{9}}[/itex] How do I simplify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arithmetic is a good start. Can you find a common denominator for the denominator?

If I simplify it, here's how it looks, [itex]\frac{20\sqrt{3}}{9+4\sqrt{3}}[/itex] and if I multiply by 2, I get[itex]\frac{40\sqrt{3}}{9+4\sqrt{3}}[/itex]. Does this look right?

That looks OK.

frosty8688 said:
If I simplify it, here's how it looks, [itex]\frac{20\sqrt{3}}{9+4\sqrt{3}}[/itex] and if I multiply by 2, I get[itex]\frac{40\sqrt{3}}{9+4\sqrt{3}}[/itex]. Does this look right?
You can simplify that a bit more. Do you know a trick for getting rid of terms like a+√b from denominators?

Related to Optimization Problem involving a wire

What is an optimization problem involving a wire?

An optimization problem involving a wire refers to a mathematical problem where the goal is to find the optimal shape or size of a wire that will minimize or maximize a certain objective, such as cost or strength.

What are the factors that affect the optimization of a wire?

The optimization of a wire can be affected by various factors such as the material of the wire, the desired strength or flexibility, the available budget, and the intended use of the wire.

What are some common examples of optimization problems involving wires?

Some common examples of optimization problems involving wires include finding the optimal length and thickness of a wire for a suspension bridge, determining the best shape and size of a wire for a specific musical instrument, and optimizing the cost of a wire used in electrical wiring.

What are the steps involved in solving an optimization problem involving a wire?

The steps involved in solving an optimization problem involving a wire include defining the objective, identifying the constraints, formulating a mathematical model, solving the model, and interpreting the results to make a decision.

What are some techniques used to solve optimization problems involving wires?

Some common techniques used to solve optimization problems involving wires include linear programming, calculus methods such as Lagrange multipliers, and computer algorithms like genetic algorithms and simulated annealing.