Optimization Problem(Linear Programming Model)

In summary, the problem is to formulate a linear programming model for a factory that needs to cut 5-meter long pipes into 140cm, 95cm, and 65cm lengths in a 2:4:1 ratio to produce K products with the least number of pipes. The decision variables are the number of times each cutting pattern is used, and the objective is to minimize the total number of pipes used. The constraints include producing at least 2K 140cm lengths, 4K 95cm lengths, and K 65cm lengths, and the possibility of producing excess small pipes should be considered.
sigh1342

Homework Statement

A factory has stocked a lot of pipes (sufficient). Each standard pipe is 5-meter long. But this kind of pipe cannot be used directly. We should cut them into three types: 140cm, 95cm and 65cm. In addition, the proportion of these three types of pipes must be 2:4:1. In other words, each product needs two 140cm-long pipes, four 95cm-long pipes and one 65cm-long pipe. It is assumed that the pipes we cut down must be proportional. Now, this factory wants to manufacture K products with least pipes. Formulate this problem as an linear programming model.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got a problem on letting the decision variable. I have tried to let there are i 140cm part, j 95cm part and g 65cm part, so that the remaining part of a standard pipe would be 500-x_ijg. But I don't know x_ijg is relevant to the total number of pipes or not.

Hope someone helps. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sigh1342 said:

Homework Statement

A factory has stocked a lot of pipes (sufficient). Each standard pipe is 5-meter long. But this kind of pipe cannot be used directly. We should cut them into three types: 140cm, 95cm and 65cm. In addition, the proportion of these three types of pipes must be 2:4:1. In other words, each product needs two 140cm-long pipes, four 95cm-long pipes and one 65cm-long pipe. It is assumed that the pipes we cut down must be proportional. Now, this factory wants to manufacture K products with least pipes. Formulate this problem as an linear programming model.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got a problem on letting the decision variable. I have tried to let there are i 140cm part, j 95cm part and g 65cm part, so that the remaining part of a standard pipe would be 500-x_ijg. But I don't know x_ijg is relevant to the total number of pipes or not.

Hope someone helps. Thanks.

Look at the different cutting patterns. For example, one pattern would be to cut 3 140cm + 1 65 cm length from the standard pipe, leaving 15 cm of waste. Another pattern is to cut 2 140's + 2 95's, leaving 30 cm waste. Still another pattern is to cut 2 140's + 1 95 + 1 65, leaving 60 cm waste, etc. So, the first step is to enumerate all the possible patterns that leave < 65 cm of waste. Then, the variables are the number of times you use a pattern; that is, they are x_i = number of times to use pattern i, for i = 1,2,..., N, where N = total number of patterns.

Such cutting-stock problems give LPs that can sometimes have non-integer solutions, so sometimes we need to use the more time-consuming tool of integer programming.

Last edited:
Thanks Ray.

Following your approach, I've found there are 14 patterns in total. So is that the total number of pipes, z = sum(i = 1 to 14) x_i and my objective is to minimize z on x_i's?

And how about the constraints? I don't know how to make use of the proportion(2:4:1) to establish my inequality.

sigh1342 said:
Thanks Ray.

Following your approach, I've found there are 14 patterns in total. So is that the total number of pipes, z = sum(i = 1 to 14) x_i and my objective is to minimize z on x_i's?

And how about the constraints? I don't know how to make use of the proportion(2:4:1) to establish my inequality.

To produce K items you need to have at least 2K 140cm lengths, at least 4K 95cm lengths and at least K 65 cm lengths. From the variables x1,...,x14, how many 140's , 95's and 65's do you get altogether?

Your objective is fine: it captures exactly what the problem asked for.

Note: in this type of problem it is unavoidable to sometimes produce excess small pipes, so if we need only 400 95's we might end up producing 500. You often cannot meet exact ratios; all you can do is produce *at least enough* of each.

Related to Optimization Problem(Linear Programming Model)

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem involves finding the best solution for a given situation or problem, while considering various constraints and limitations. It is a mathematical model used to maximize or minimize a specific objective function.

2. What is a linear programming model?

A linear programming model is a mathematical technique used to solve optimization problems with linear objective functions and linear constraints. It involves creating a mathematical representation of a problem and using algorithms to find the optimal solution.

3. What are the components of a linear programming model?

The components of a linear programming model are the decision variables, objective function, and constraints. Decision variables are the unknown quantities that need to be determined. The objective function is the quantity that needs to be minimized or maximized. Constraints are the limitations or restrictions that need to be considered when finding the optimal solution.

4. What are the common applications of linear programming?

Linear programming has various applications in industries such as finance, manufacturing, transportation, and telecommunications. It can be used to optimize resource allocation, production planning, supply chain management, and scheduling.

5. What are the steps involved in solving a linear programming problem?

The steps involved in solving a linear programming problem are:

1. Identify the decision variables and define the objective function.
  2. Create constraints to represent the limitations of the problem.
  3. Graph the constraints to visualize the feasible region.
  4. Determine the corner points of the feasible region.
  5. Calculate the value of the objective function at each corner point.
  6. Select the optimal solution based on the objective function.