Optimization problem that makes no sense

In summary, the cost of fuel for a boat is proportional to the cube of its speed, and a certain ferry boat uses $100 of fuel per hour at 10 miles per hour. The cost of running the ferry (excluding fuel) is $675 per hour. To minimize the cost per mile traveled, the boat should travel at 15 miles per hour.
Burjam

Homework Statement

The cost of fuel to propel a boat through the water (in dollars per hour) is proportional to the cube of the speed. A certain ferry boat uses $100 worth of fuel per hour when cruising at 10 miles per hour. Apart from fuel, the cost of running this ferry (labor, maintenance, and so on) is $675 per hour. At what speed should it travel so as to minimize the cost per mile traveled?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble setting up functions to solve this problem. I could do it if I just had some solid functions to work with. The thing that's really getting me is the wording.

The problem states:

The cost of fuel to propel a boat through the water (in dollars per hour) is proportional to the cube of the speed. A certain ferry boat uses $100 worth of fuel per hour when cruising at 10 miles per hour.

Last time I checked, 10^3 is 1000. What's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Burjam said:

Homework Statement

The cost of fuel to propel a boat through the water (in dollars per hour) is proportional to the cube of the speed. A certain ferry boat uses $100 worth of fuel per hour when cruising at 10 miles per hour. Apart from fuel, the cost of running this ferry (labor, maintenance, and so on) is $675 per hour. At what speed should it travel so as to minimize the cost per mile traveled?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble setting up functions to solve this problem. I could do it if I just had some solid functions to work with. The thing that's really getting me is the wording.

The problem states:
The cost of fuel to propel a boat through the water (in dollars per hour) is proportional to the cube of the speed. A certain ferry boat uses $100 worth of fuel per hour when cruising at 10 miles per hour.

Last time I checked, 10^3 is 1000. What's going on here?
It doesn't say that the cost is the cube of the speed, just that the cost is proportional to the cube of the speed. For example, if the boat's speed was increased to 20 mph, it would use $800 of fuel per hour.

Ok did it. I got 15mph which is what the back of the book says. Thanks

Related to Optimization problem that makes no sense

1. What is an optimization problem that makes no sense?

An optimization problem that makes no sense is a problem that cannot be solved because it is poorly defined or lacks necessary information. In other words, there is no clear objective or feasible solution to the problem.

2. What are some examples of optimization problems that make no sense?

Examples of optimization problems that make no sense include trying to minimize the number of apples in a basket without knowing how many apples are in the basket to begin with or trying to maximize profits without knowing the cost of production.

3. How can one identify an optimization problem that makes no sense?

An optimization problem that makes no sense can be identified by looking for inconsistencies or missing information in the problem statement, or by attempting to solve the problem and finding that there is no feasible solution.

4. Why is it important to avoid optimization problems that make no sense?

Avoiding optimization problems that make no sense is important because it can save time and resources that would otherwise be wasted on trying to solve an unsolvable problem. It also ensures that the problem being solved is meaningful and has a feasible solution.

5. How can one reframe an optimization problem that makes no sense into a solvable problem?

To reframe an optimization problem that makes no sense into a solvable problem, one can try to clarify the objective, gather missing information, or break down the problem into smaller, more manageable sub-problems. It may also be necessary to redefine the problem entirely if the original problem is fundamentally unsolvable.