Optimization Problems (So confusing) Please me on this once. Thanks in a million

In summary, the design of a pup tent is more complicated than a dome tent, and it would be more practical to make a dome tent.
eagle_johny
Optimization Problems (So confusing) Please me on this once. Thanks in a million !

The Dome Tent
1 .Imagine making a tent in the shape of a spherical cap (a sphere with lower portion sliced away by a plane). Assume we want the volume to be 2.2 m^3, to sleep two or three people.
a. make a sketch of this tent, identifying all appropriate variables
The floor of the tent is cheaper material than the rest: assume that the material making up the dome of the tent is 1.4 times as expensive per square meter than the material touching the ground
b. determine and graph a function, which gives that cost of the tent material as a function of an appropriate variable
c. what should the dimensions of the tent be so that the cost of the material is a minimum?
d. what is the total area of the material used for this minimum cost tent?
e. now consider a dome tent in which the floor is more expensive than the rest of the tent material” assume that the material touching the floor is 1.4 times as expensive per square meter than the material making up the dome of the tent. Carry out steps a) b) and c) above for this tent
f. how practical would each of these two tents be?

The pup tent
Now consider making a tent in the shape of a right prism whose cross section is an equilateral triangle (the door is on one on of the triangular ends). Assume once again that the volume is 2.2 m^3, to sleep two or three people. Please answer questions a) through f) above this tent design (for this tent the phrase “material making up the ends and top” should be substituted for the phrase “the material making up the dome”

Thank you thank you thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The radius of the sphere and the distance into the sphere are the variables, although one will actually depend on the other in order to maintain a constant volume.

Can you find an expression that gives you surface area in terms of radius and the distance the plane cuts away?

--J

no. I'm stuck with these two problems. :(

Related to Optimization Problems (So confusing) Please me on this once. Thanks in a million

1. What are optimization problems?

Optimization problems are mathematical models that aim to find the best possible solution to a given problem, often involving maximizing or minimizing a certain parameter while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. How do I solve optimization problems?

There are various methods for solving optimization problems, such as linear programming, gradient descent, and genetic algorithms. The most appropriate method depends on the specific problem and its constraints.

3. What are some real-world applications of optimization problems?

Optimization problems have a wide range of applications in different fields, including finance, engineering, transportation, and resource allocation. For example, they can be used to optimize investment portfolios, design efficient transportation routes, and schedule employee shifts.

4. Why are optimization problems confusing?

Optimization problems can be confusing because they often involve complex mathematical concepts and require a deep understanding of the problem at hand. Additionally, there are various approaches and techniques for solving these problems, which can be overwhelming for beginners.

5. How can I improve my understanding of optimization problems?

To improve your understanding of optimization problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. It may also be helpful to practice solving different types of optimization problems and seek guidance from a tutor or mentor. Additionally, reading textbooks and online resources can provide a deeper understanding of the subject.