Optimized Prove Limit of {x_n} = 0 with Epsilon

In summary: }{...}\\ =\quad \frac { 3n+11\quad -\quad \sqrt { n+2 } \left( 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+1 } \right) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } -\quad \sqrt { n+2 } -\sqrt { n+1 } } \quad <\quad \frac { 3n+11\quad -\quad \sqrt { n } \left( 2\sqrt { n } +\sqrt { n } \right) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } -\quad \sqrt { n+2 } -\
FaroukYasser
Edit: the red \E is the epsilon sign

1. Homework Statement

##Given\quad { x }_{ n }=\sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \\ Prove\quad that:\quad \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ { x }_{ n } } =0##

Homework Equations

##For\quad any\quad arbitrary\quad \E >0,\quad there\quad exists\quad an\quad N>0\quad such\quad that\\ if\quad n>N\quad \Longrightarrow \quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| <\E ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| \quad \le \quad \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } +2\sqrt { n+3 } \\ \\ \\ <\quad \sqrt { n+3 } +\sqrt { n+3 } +2\sqrt { n+3 } \quad =\quad 4\sqrt { n+3 } \quad \\ \\ <\quad \E \\ \\ Taking\quad N\quad =\quad -3\quad +\quad \left( \frac { \E }{ 4 } \right) ^{ 2 }\\ if\quad n>N\quad \Longrightarrow \quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| <\quad \E \\ thus\quad by\quad the\quad definition\quad of\quad a\quad limit,\quad the\quad limit\quad is\quad 0.##
[/B]
However, whenever I take any epsilon, say 0.1, I get N=-2.999375, so if I choose n = 1 for example, and I sub it into the inequality, I get 0.85337... < 0.1 which is obviously incorrect. Any idea what part is wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've effectively tried to show that ##4\sqrt{n+3}## tends to ##0## an ##n## tends to ##\infty##. You've done this by taking ##n## as a specific negative number. Which is absurd.

PeroK said:
You've effectively tried to show that ##4\sqrt{n+3}## tends to ##0## an ##n## tends to ##\infty##. You've done this by taking ##n## as a specific negative number. Which is absurd.
I am not sure if I understand you. can you elaborate just a bit more if you don't mind? Also, what other inequalities can i use to solve this?

FaroukYasser said:
I am not sure if I understand you. can you elaborate just a bit more if you don't mind? Also, what other inequalities can i use to solve this?

You started by showing that ##|x_n| < 4\sqrt{n+3}##. But this is useless if you are trying to show that ##x_n \rightarrow 0##. Can you see that?

PeroK said:
You started by showing that ##|x_n| < 4\sqrt{n+3}##. But this is useless if you are trying to show that ##x_n \rightarrow 0##. Can you see that?
so you mean that I need to use the inequalities correctly to reach a function that is bigger than ##|x_n| and at the same time tends towards zero?

FaroukYasser said:
so you mean that I need to use the inequalities correctly to reach a function that is bigger than ##|x_n| and at the same time tends towards zero?

Yes!

Here's a hint. Try to show that ##\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n+3} \rightarrow 0## as a first step.

PeroK said:
Here's a hint. Try to show that ##\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n+3} \rightarrow 0## as a first step.

Ok so using yout hint, I reached this:

##\left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| =2\sqrt { n+3 } -\quad \sqrt { n+1 } -\sqrt { n+2 } \quad =\quad \frac { 3n+10\quad -\quad \sqrt { n+1 } \left( 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+2 } \right) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+2 } } \quad <\quad \frac { 3n+10\quad -\quad \sqrt { n } \left( 2\sqrt { n } +\sqrt { n } \right) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+2 } } \\ <\quad \frac { 10 }{ \sqrt { n+2 } } .\quad Taking\quad N\quad =\quad \left( \frac { 10 }{ \E } \right) ^{ 2 }-2,\quad then\quad n>N\quad implies\quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| <\E ##

Is there any simpler way that I've missed?
Also, thanks for your help.

FaroukYasser said:
Ok so using yout hint, I reached this:

##\left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| =2\sqrt { n+3 } -\quad \sqrt { n+1 } -\sqrt { n+2 } \quad =\quad \frac { 3n+10\quad -\quad \sqrt { n+1 } \left( 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+2 } \right) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+2 } } \quad <\quad \frac { 3n+10\quad -\quad \sqrt { n } \left( 2\sqrt { n } +\sqrt { n } \right) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } \cdot \sqrt { n+2 } } \\ <\quad \frac { 10 }{ \sqrt { n+2 } } .\quad Taking\quad N\quad =\quad \left( \frac { 10 }{ \E } \right) ^{ 2 }-2,\quad then\quad n>N\quad implies\quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| <\E ##

Is there any simpler way that I've missed?
Also, thanks for your help.

I'm not sure how that uses my hint! How did you get that equality where ##3n + 10## appears? It doesn't look right in any case.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
I'm not sure how that uses my hint! How did you get that equality where ##3n + 10## appears? It doesn't look right in any case.
##Using\quad your\quad hint:\\ \left| \sqrt { n+1 } -\sqrt { n+3 } \right| =\sqrt { n+3 } -\sqrt { n+1 } =\quad \frac { n+3-n-1 }{ \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+3 } } <\frac { 2 }{ \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+3 } } <\frac { 2 }{ \sqrt { n } } ,\quad therefore\quad take\quad N=\left( \frac { 2 }{ \E } \right) ^{ 2 }\\ Using\quad the\quad same\quad method\quad but\quad with\quad the\quad whole\quad thing:\\ \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| =2\sqrt { n+3 } -\quad \sqrt { n+2 } -\sqrt { n+1 } \quad =\quad \left( 2\sqrt { n+3 } -\quad \sqrt { n+2 } -\sqrt { n+1 } \right) \cdot \frac { 2\sqrt { n+3 } +\quad \sqrt { n+2 } }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } +\quad \sqrt { n+2 } } =\frac { 4(n+3)-(n+2)-\sqrt { n+1 } (2\sqrt { n+3 } +\quad \sqrt { n+2 } ) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } +\quad \sqrt { n+2 } } =\frac { 3n+10-\sqrt { n+1 } (2\sqrt { n+3 } +\quad \sqrt { n+2 } ) }{ 2\sqrt { n+3 } +\quad \sqrt { n+2 } } \\ ##

I just feel that there has to be someway easier but I just can't get it.Could you make it easier?

If you have two sequences that tend to 0, then what can you say about the sum of the two?

PeroK said:
If you have two sequences that tend to 0, then what can you say about the sum of the two?

Well if both tend towards 0 then using the arithmetic rule, then the sum of them tends towards 0. Do you mean that I should divide it to two such as root(n+3) - root(n+1) once and show it tends towards 0 then use do root(n+3) - root(n+2) and show that this also tends towards 0 and using the arithmetic law of limits, this shows that the sum of these two sequences converge to 0 as a result? Am I allowed to use the Limit laws in these proofs as facts without proving them? I thought i can only use algebraic manipulation?

Also, one last question, would the method I used be considered incorrect? The one for the 3 of them simultaneously?

FaroukYasser said:
Well if both tend towards 0 then using the arithmetic rule, then the sum of them tends towards 0. Do you mean that I should divide it to two such as root(n+3) - root(n+1) once and show it tends towards 0 then use do root(n+3) - root(n+2) and show that this also tends towards 0 and using the arithmetic law of limits, this shows that the sum of these two sequences converge to 0 as a result? Am I allowed to use the Limit laws in these proofs as facts without proving them? I thought i can only use arithmetic manipulation?

Also, one last question, would the method I used be considered incorrect? The one for the 3 of them simultaneously?

If you can't use the arithmetic rule generally, you can always use it specifically:

If ##|y_n| < \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}## and ##|z_n| < \frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}## then for ##|x_n| = |y_n + z_n| \dots##

Likes FaroukYasser
PeroK said:
If you can't use the arithmetic rule generally, you can always use it specifically:

If ##|y_n| < \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}## and ##|z_n| < \frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}## then for ##|x_n| = |y_n + z_n| \dots##
Aha, I see.
Also, would the way I used with lots of algebra be considered a correct proof or faulty?

FaroukYasser said:
Aha, I see.
Also, would the way I used with lots of algebra be considered a correct proof or faulty?

It's not wrong, but I would never have thought of doing it that way. The first thing I thought of was to split it into two. And, in fact, I calculated that:

##|\sqrt{n+a} - \sqrt{n + b}| < |\frac{a-b}{2\sqrt{n}}|## when ##a \ne b##

Which, I feel, is a better way to think about mathematics. There's nothing special about the numbers 1, 2 and 3 in this case.

Likes FaroukYasser
PeroK said:
It's not wrong, but I would never have thought of doing it that way. The first thing I thought of was to split it into two. And, in fact, I calculated that:

##|\sqrt{n+a} - \sqrt{n + b}| < |\frac{a-b}{2\sqrt{n}}|## when ##a \ne b##

Which, I feel, is a better way to think about mathematics. There's nothing special about the numbers 1, 2 and 3 in this case.
Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry if I bothered you with my not so intelligent questions :)

FaroukYasser said:
Edit: the red \E is the epsilon sign

1. Homework Statement

##Given\quad { x }_{ n }=\sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \\ Prove\quad that:\quad \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ { x }_{ n } } =0##

Homework Equations

##For\quad any\quad arbitrary\quad \E >0,\quad there\quad exists\quad an\quad N>0\quad such\quad that\\ if\quad n>N\quad \Longrightarrow \quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| <\E ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| \quad \le \quad \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } +2\sqrt { n+3 } \\ \\ \\ <\quad \sqrt { n+3 } +\sqrt { n+3 } +2\sqrt { n+3 } \quad =\quad 4\sqrt { n+3 } \quad \\ \\ <\quad \E \\ \\ Taking\quad N\quad =\quad -3\quad +\quad \left( \frac { \E }{ 4 } \right) ^{ 2 }\\ if\quad n>N\quad \Longrightarrow \quad \left| \sqrt { n+1 } +\sqrt { n+2 } -2\sqrt { n+3 } \right| <\quad \E \\ thus\quad by\quad the\quad definition\quad of\quad a\quad limit,\quad the\quad limit\quad is\quad 0.##
[/B]
However, whenever I take any epsilon, say 0.1, I get N=-2.999375, so if I choose n = 1 for example, and I sub it into the inequality, I get 0.85337... < 0.1 which is obviously incorrect. Any idea what part is wrong?

Your first line is wrong; actually, it make a correct statement, but is useless for what you want to prove. Of course the inequality
[tex] | \,\sqrt{n+1} + \sqrt{n+2} - 2 \sqrt{n+3}\,| \leq \sqrt{n+1} + \sqrt{n+2} + 2 \sqrt{n+3} [/tex]
is perfectly true, but since the right-hand-side ##\to \infty## as ##n \to \infty##, that does not help you to establish that the left-hand-side becomes smaller and smaller as ##n## increases towards ##\infty##.

Notice that you have yn, yn+1 and yn+2, such that xn = yn + yn+1 - 2yn+2 combine this with the fact that finitie elements do not alter the limit of a sequence and you should reach the desired limit.

Edit: i am wrong here, the problem is that my statement is not true unless yn converges, and here it doesnt.

Last edited:

Related to Optimized Prove Limit of {x_n} = 0 with Epsilon

What is the purpose of optimizing the limit of {x_n}?

The purpose of optimizing the limit of {x_n} is to find the most accurate and efficient way to approach the limit of 0. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the sequence and can be useful in real-world applications.

What does the term "Epsilon" refer to in this context?

In this context, "Epsilon" refers to a small, positive number that is used to define the closeness of a sequence to its limit. It is typically denoted as ε and is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a sequence is convergent.

How is the limit of {x_n} = 0 optimized?

The limit of {x_n} = 0 can be optimized by finding the smallest value of ε that satisfies the definition of the limit. This involves manipulating the sequence and using mathematical techniques to reduce the value of ε until it is as close to 0 as possible.

What are some real-world applications of optimizing the limit of {x_n} = 0?

Optimizing the limit of {x_n} = 0 can have various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. In engineering, it can be used to improve the accuracy of numerical models and simulations. In physics, it can help in understanding the behavior of physical systems. In finance, it can be used to analyze and optimize investment strategies.

Are there any limitations to optimizing the limit of {x_n} = 0?

Like any mathematical concept, there are limitations to optimizing the limit of {x_n} = 0. One limitation is that it may not always be possible to find the exact value of the limit or the optimal value of ε. Additionally, the optimization process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques.