Optimizing ATV Suspension: A Scientist's Guide to Modeling and Analysis

In summary, the individual is a new member in the forum and is facing a problem with analyzing Double Wishbone suspension for ATV. They are planning to do it independently and have several queries regarding the process. They are looking for sources to obtain data on the suspension's geometry and are referring to vehicle dynamics books for understanding. They also want to know which software to use for conducting structural and dynamic analysis and are considering ANSYS, RADIOSS, or ADAMS. They are also curious about other suspension systems commonly used in ATVs. Additionally, they mention their idea of measuring and modeling the suspension and express disappointment in not being able to access SAE papers for reference.
TheSymbol
Hi all,

First of all, I am new to this forum.
Am facing a similar prob with the analysis of Double wishbone suspension for ATV ( utility ). I am planning to do this on my own. Hence have a lot of queries.
Moreover I am new to the automotive field.
Going through many literatures I understood the working of these. Am referring to some vehicle dynamics books as well.
Here are some of my queries,
1. Will I be able to obtain data about the geometry in order to start with the modeling ( for which i intend to use CATIA) ?
Please refer me to a good Material/site for the same.
2. I plan to do Structural and Dynamic analysis for this prob.
Where can I get some good technical papers that show about the kind of parameters that are to be focused on to do the above.
3. Which software do you suggest me to go with to conduct this analysis.
ANSYS, RADIOSS or ADAMS
4. If not double-wishbone, Which other suspension system would be used generally in ATVs (Both sport and Utility )
McPherson or simple Coil spring Damper?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

Moreover I have this rough idea of measuring a Double Wishbone suspension and then modelling it.
It is a logical idea? ( This is only if I do not find them in technical papers. )

Also I had some hopes in SAE papers but now realized that am not able to access them.

Thank you.

Related to Optimizing ATV Suspension: A Scientist's Guide to Modeling and Analysis

1. What is the purpose of analyzing ATV suspension?

The purpose of analyzing ATV suspension is to understand the performance and capabilities of the suspension system in order to make improvements or adjustments for better handling, comfort, and safety.

2. What are the main components of ATV suspension?

The main components of ATV suspension include shocks, springs, A-arms, swingarm, and tires. Other components such as bushings, ball joints, and linkage systems also play a vital role in the overall performance of the suspension.

3. How is the suspension performance measured?

The suspension performance is measured through various factors such as ride height, wheel travel, compression and rebound damping, stiffness, and weight distribution. These measurements can be taken through testing and analysis using specialized equipment.

4. What are some common problems with ATV suspension?

Some common problems with ATV suspension include sagging or bottoming out, lack of stability and traction, and uneven wear on tires. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors such as worn out components, incorrect adjustments, and improper maintenance.

5. How can ATV suspension be improved?

ATV suspension can be improved by making adjustments to the components such as changing the spring rate or adjusting the compression and rebound damping. Upgrading to higher quality components or adding aftermarket parts can also significantly improve the performance of the suspension.