Optimizing Cost for a Rectangular Box with Given Volume

In summary, the question asks for the dimensions of a closed rectangular box with a volume of 16ft^3 made from two materials, with the top and bottom costing 10 cents per square foot and the sides costing 5 cents per square foot, in order to minimize the cost of materials. The constraint is V = xyz = 16 and the cost function is given by .20xy + .10zy + .10zx. By solving for the partial derivatives and setting them equal to 0, the critical point is found to be (2,2,4). This is the absolute minimum cost as the values approach but do not equal (0,16), (16,0), (16,1), (1,16
Kawrae
Here is the question:

A closed rectangular box with a volume of 16ft^3 is made from two kinds of materials. The top and bottom are made of material costing 10 cents per square foot and the sides from material costing 5 cents per square foot. Find the dimensions of the box so that the cost of materials is minimized.

Here is how I've been attempting to do it (but can't get the answer to match the one given in the back of the book):

The volume of the box is the constraint and that formula is V = xyz = 16
The cost of the box is the function given by .20xy + .10zy + .10zx

Okay... so I solved the constraint for one variable and got z=(16)/(xy) and then I substituted this into the cost equation of the box for z. And this gave me 2xy + 16/x + 16/y.

Solving for the partial derivatives, I got f(x) = 2y - 16(x^-2) and f(y) = 2x - 16(y^-2). I set these equal to 0. Then I took the f(x) and solved for y to get y = 8 (1/(8x^-2)^2). Then I plugged this into the f(y) forumal to solve for x and got x = 8, so y = 1/8. So then the critical point from all of this is (8, (1/8)).

Then since it is looking for the absolute minimum, I set up up the problem to find the critical points on the boundaries of the box in the xy plane. I got (0,16), (16,0), (16,1), (1,16) as critical points, along with the (8,(1/8)) from above and the end points (0,0) and (16,16).

I know I'm messing up somewhere and I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. The answer the book gives is x=2, y=2, and z=4.

Can anyone help me out here? The more I try to redo it, the more I get confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
Kawrae said:
Here is the question:

A closed rectangular box with a volume of 16ft^3 is made from two kinds of materials. The top and bottom are made of material costing 10 cents per square foot and the sides from material costing 5 cents per square foot. Find the dimensions of the box so that the cost of materials is minimized.

Here is how I've been attempting to do it (but can't get the answer to match the one given in the back of the book):

The volume of the box is the constraint and that formula is V = xyz = 16
The cost of the box is the function given by .20xy + .10zy + .10zx

Okay... so I solved the constraint for one variable and got z=(16)/(xy) and then I substituted this into the cost equation of the box for z. And this gave me 2xy + 16/x + 16/y
Solving for the partial derivatives, I got f(x) = 2y - 16(x^-2) and f(y) = 2x - 16(y^-2). I set these equal to 0. Then I took the f(x) and solved for y to get y = 8 (1/(8x^-2)^2).
No. From 2y- 16x-2= 0 you get y= 8x-2! I think you must have put that into fy and forgot you had done that!

Then I plugged this into the f(y) forumal to solve for x and got x = 8, so y = 1/8. So then the critical point from all of this is (8, (1/8)).
I wouldn't have done it quite that way. From 2y-15x-2= 0 and 2x- 16y-2= 0 you can get 2x2y= 16 and 2xy2= 16. Dividing one equation by the other, x/y= 1 or x= y.(which was obvious from the first!) Now, each equation is 2x3= 16 or x3= 8 so x= 2, not 8. Did you lose a 3?
From x= 2, y= 2 and then, to have xyz= 16, z= 4.

Then since it is looking for the absolute minimum, I set up up the problem to find the critical points on the boundaries of the box in the xy plane. I got (0,16), (16,0), (16,1), (1,16) as critical points, along with the (8,(1/8)) from above and the end points (0,0) and (16,16).
No, those don't satisfy xyz= 16. The possible values of x,y,z approach those but can't equal them. Since this is an open set, there is not a maximum. The minimum cost is when x= y= 2, z= 4.

I know I'm messing up somewhere and I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. The answer the book gives is x=2, y=2, and z=4.

Can anyone help me out here? The more I try to redo it, the more I get confused...

FAQ: Optimizing Cost for a Rectangular Box with Given Volume

1. What is the definition of an absolute minimum in Calculus 3?

An absolute minimum in Calculus 3 refers to the lowest possible value of a function over a given interval. It is a single point where the function reaches its minimum value and is lower than any other point in its domain.

2. How is an absolute minimum different from a relative minimum?

An absolute minimum is the lowest value of a function over a given interval, while a relative minimum is a point where the function is at its lowest but may not be the overall lowest value in the entire interval.

3. How can we find the absolute minimum of a function in Calculus 3?

To find the absolute minimum of a function, we must first find its critical points by taking the derivative and setting it equal to 0. Then, we evaluate the function at each critical point and the endpoints of the interval to determine the absolute minimum.

4. Can a function have more than one absolute minimum?

No, a function can only have one absolute minimum over a given interval. However, it is possible for a function to have multiple relative minima within the same interval.

5. What is the significance of finding the absolute minimum in Calculus 3?

Finding the absolute minimum of a function allows us to determine the lowest possible value of the function and can be useful in optimization problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function and its critical points.

Back