Optimizing Illumination: Finding the Minimum Point Between Two Light Sources

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
Then the object should be placed at that value of ##x##.In summary, the illumination of an object is influenced by the strength of the light source and the distance from the source. To find the point on the line between two light sources where the object receives the least illumination, the derivative of the equation I = s/d^2 should be taken with respect to distance (x) and set equal to zero. After solving for x, the object should be placed at that value on the line.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

The illumination of an object is directly proportional to to the strength of the source and inversely proportional to the distance squared. If two light sources, one three times stronger than the other, are placed 10 ft apart, where should and object be places on the line between the sources so as to receive the least illumination?

Homework Equations

-----

The Attempt at a Solution

I = s / d^2

[S/d^2] + [3S/(10-d) ^2] = I <-- minimize

I'm completely stuck here. Am I treating d as a constant and just doing d/dS or what?

Sorry that's confusing. I should call distance X instead. Am I taking the derivative with respect to distance was what I meant to ask.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

The illumination of an object is directly proportional to to the strength of the source and inversely proportional to the distance squared. If two light sources, one three times stronger than the other, are placed 10 ft apart, where should and object be places on the line between the sources so as to receive the least illumination?

Homework Equations

-----

The Attempt at a Solution

I = s / d^2

[S/d^2] + [3S/(10-d) ^2] = I <-- minimize

I'm completely stuck here. Am I treating d as a constant and just doing d/dS or what?

Sorry that's confusing. I should call distance X instead. Am I taking the derivative with respect to distance was what I meant to ask.

Yes, it would be better to call the distance from one source ##x## and the other ##10-x## to not confuse it with the ##d## in derivatives. So you have ##I## as a function of ##x##. You have left out the constant of proportionality, which shouldn't matter anyway. So use calculus to find what value of ##x## gives the minimum value of ##I(x)##.

Last edited:

Related to Optimizing Illumination: Finding the Minimum Point Between Two Light Sources

1. What is the purpose of minimizing illumination in scientific experiments?

Minimizing illumination helps to reduce the influence of external light sources, such as sunlight or artificial lighting, on the results of an experiment. This allows for more accurate and reliable data to be collected.

2. How can illumination be minimized in a laboratory setting?

Illumination can be minimized in a laboratory by using curtains or blinds to block out natural light, using low-wattage bulbs or dimmer switches for artificial lighting, and keeping the experiment area away from windows or other sources of light.

3. What are the potential consequences of not minimizing illumination in a scientific experiment?

Not minimizing illumination can lead to inaccurate or inconsistent results, as external light can affect the behavior of living organisms or alter the properties of chemicals being used in the experiment.

4. Are there any specific techniques or equipment that can be used to minimize illumination?

Yes, there are various techniques and equipment that can be used to minimize illumination, such as using light-proof chambers or light-blocking filters for microscopes, and using infrared or ultraviolet light instead of visible light for certain experiments.

5. Is it necessary to minimize illumination in all types of scientific experiments?

It is not necessary to minimize illumination in all types of scientific experiments, as some may not be affected by external light sources. However, it is generally recommended to minimize illumination whenever possible to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.

Back