Optimizing Illumination: Placing an Object to Receive Least Illumination

In summary, the object should be placed on the line between the two light sources so as to receive the least illumination.
suspenc3
The Illumination of an object by a light source is directly proportional to the strength of the source and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. If the two light sources, one three times as strong as the other, are placed 10ft apart, where should an object be placed on the line between the sources so as to receive the least illumination?

Im having trouble setting up the problem..any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you intial thoughts?

I can't picture, or draw a diagram to illustrate the problem. I don't understand what the setup would look like.

[tex]I = \frac{S}{r^2} + \frac{3S}{(10-r)^2}[/tex]

Perhaps something like that?

Yes, that makes sence, but what can I use to eliminate one of the variables?

Before we proceed, it is probably more appropriate if we say that;

[tex]I\;\; \alpha \;\; \frac{S}{r^2} + \frac{3S}{(10-r)^2}[/tex]

As, S is constant, the only two variables are I and r. We want to know how I varies with respect to r, if I understant the problem correctly?

So how about finding [itex]I'(r)\;\;dr[/itex]?

ok well, I found I' but I think it is wrong. I get

[tex] I' = \frac{-10r^2}{r^4} - \frac{30(r^2-2r+100)}{(r^2-2^r+100)^2}[/tex]

When I try to solve for r I don't get a real number

I get

[tex]I'(r) = \frac{6S}{(10-r)^3} - \frac{2S}{r^3}[/tex]

You don't want to solve for I. What do you know about the gradient at a minimum point?

Last edited:
If you are having trouble visulaising the functions I have attached plot of them. The blue curve is that of the original function, the red is that of the derrivative. As S is constant(strength of source) I assigned an arbitray value of S=1 for this plot.

Hope this helps :smile:

Attachments

• illumination.jpg
    illumination.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 401
Hey Suspenc, did you ever figure out this problem. I am having trouble figuring it out myself and was wondering if you could assist.

Related to Optimizing Illumination: Placing an Object to Receive Least Illumination

1. What does "optimizing illumination" mean?

"Optimizing illumination" refers to the process of strategically placing an object in a specific location to receive the most ideal amount of light or illumination. This can involve considering factors such as the direction and intensity of light sources, as well as the reflective and absorbent properties of the object itself.

2. Why is optimizing illumination important?

Optimizing illumination is important because it can greatly impact the visibility and appearance of an object. By receiving the proper amount and direction of light, an object can appear more vibrant and detailed, making it easier to observe and study.

3. How can I determine the best placement for an object to receive the least illumination?

To determine the best placement for an object to receive the least illumination, it is important to consider the direction and intensity of light sources in the surrounding environment. Placing the object in a shadow or in a shaded area can help to minimize the amount of light it receives.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can aid in optimizing illumination?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can help in optimizing illumination. One common tool is a light meter, which measures the intensity of light in a given area. Techniques such as adjusting the angle of light sources or using diffusers can also help to optimize illumination.

5. Can optimizing illumination also impact energy efficiency?

Yes, optimizing illumination can also impact energy efficiency. By strategically placing objects to receive the most ideal amount of light, it can reduce the need for additional lighting sources and therefore save on energy usage. Additionally, using reflective surfaces to redirect light can also help to conserve energy.

Back