Optimizing Largest Trapezoid in Semicircle Radius a

In summary, the problem involves finding the trapezoid of largest area that can be inscribed in a semicircle of radius a. The diameter of the semicircle is 2a and the area of a semicircle is (1/2)πr2. The area of a trapezoid is (1/2)(b1 + b2)h. To solve this problem, one must relate the height and second base of the trapezoid to the point (x,y) where the corner intersects the semicircle, which is constrained by the equation of the circle. The Pythagorean theorem may be useful in solving this problem.
ptolema

Homework Statement

Find the trapezoid of largest area that can be inscribed in a semicircle of radius a, with one base lying along the diameter.

Homework Equations

diameter = 2a
area of a semicircle = (1/2)πr2
area of a trapezoid = (1/2)(b1 + b2)h

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that one of the bases is the diameter 2a, and that i need to maximise the area of the trapezoid. the length of the second base is anywhere between 0 and 2a, and the height is between 0 and a. that being said, i find myself working with too many variables in the trapezoid area equation. i don't know how to reduce the number of variables i have and relate the trapezoid formula to the semicircle formula. as far as i can tell, the semicircle's area (and circumference) is a constant, so it doesn't do much good in eliminating variables. where do i even begin to make sense of this?

here's another:

Homework Statement

A right angle is moved along the diameter of a circle of radius a (see diagram). What is the greatest possible length (A+B) intercepted on it by the circle.

[PLAIN]http://www.esnips.com/nsdoc/207fd3b5-1a2f-460f-b911-3b3eda3a7c2a

Homework Equations

so, the pythagorean theorem might be useful
diameter = 2a

The Attempt at a Solution

this one is even more confusing than the first. i have to maximise A+B, but i don't exactly have an equation to do that. maybe maximising A2+B2 would work, but that still leaves me with too many variables. i don't know how to relate anything from the circle to the right angle besides the obvious diameter. i know that 0<A<a and 0<B<2a, but this once again gets me nowhere. no idea where to start, please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Relate the height and 2nd base of the trapezoid to the point (x.y) where the corner intersects the semicircle. (x,y) is constrained by the equation of the circle (not the area, the geometric equation defining the circle).

Related to Optimizing Largest Trapezoid in Semicircle Radius a

1. What is a trapezoid?

A trapezoid is a four-sided polygon with two parallel sides. It is also known as a trapezium in some countries.

2. How do you calculate the area of a trapezoid?

The formula for calculating the area of a trapezoid is (1/2)h(b1 + b2), where h is the height of the trapezoid and b1 and b2 are the lengths of the two parallel sides.

3. What is the largest trapezoid that can fit in a semicircle with radius a?

The largest trapezoid that can fit in a semicircle with radius a is one where the parallel sides are equal to the diameter of the semicircle, which is 2a.

4. How do you optimize the largest trapezoid in a semicircle?

To optimize the largest trapezoid in a semicircle, you need to find the height and parallel sides that will result in the maximum area. This can be done by using the derivative of the area formula and finding the critical points.

5. What is the application of optimizing the largest trapezoid in a semicircle?

The application of optimizing the largest trapezoid in a semicircle can be seen in real-life scenarios such as designing bridges or buildings with curved edges. It can also be used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D objects with curved surfaces.