Optimizing Orbital Shielding: Comparing 1s, 3s, 4d, and 5s Orbitals

In summary, according to the Slater rules, the 5s orbital is more strongly shielded than the 4d orbitals.
henry3369
Assuming all orbitals are filled, which of these orbitals is most shielded: 1s, 3s, 4d, 5s

The answer is 4d, but I chose 5s. Can someone explain? I thought the electrons in the d block are considered core electrons and contribute to the shielding, but feel more pull from the nucleus because of this and the 5s orbital is higher in energy and the electrons are valence electrons so they experience the most amount of shielding. Isn't this why electrons are removed from the 5s block before the 4d because the 5s orbital have more energy?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's kinda a trick question: the 5s/4d orbitals reverse the usual sequence of s after d.
The 5s orbitals are (usually) filled before the 4d, s the 4d orbitals get more shielding.
s shells are spherical, too, so that makes them better at shielding.

With "assuming all orbitals to be filled" I suppose you mean 1s22s22p63s23p63d104s24p64d105s2?

You may want to read about the Slater rules: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slater's_rules
Then applying these rules, the 5s electron sees an effective charge of 4.35 while the 4d a charge of 8.85. So clearly, the 5s is more strongly shielded than 4d.

Last edited:
I'd just like to add that the energy argument can be highly misleading when estimating the shielding. Even when the 4d orbitals would represent comparable energy levels to the 5s orbitals, the 4d orbitals would still be much more compact (i.e., smaller in space) and represent d orbitals, which are less strongly shielded in any case. So, as DrDu said, I'd find it hard to believe that the 4d are more strongly shielded than the 5s.

Related to Optimizing Orbital Shielding: Comparing 1s, 3s, 4d, and 5s Orbitals

1. How does the shielding of 1s, 3s, 4d, and 5s orbitals compare?

The shielding of orbitals refers to the ability of electrons in the outer orbitals to block the nuclear charge from affecting electrons in the inner orbitals. In general, the higher the principal quantum number (n), the greater the shielding. Therefore, the 5s orbital will have the highest shielding, followed by 4d, 3s, and 1s orbitals.

2. How does the size of the orbital affect its shielding ability?

The size of the orbital is directly related to its principal quantum number (n). As mentioned before, the higher the n value, the larger the orbital and therefore the greater the shielding. This is because electrons in higher orbitals are further from the nucleus and are shielded by the electrons in the inner orbitals.

3. How does the number of electrons in an orbital affect its shielding ability?

The number of electrons in an orbital does not have a significant effect on its shielding ability. The shielding ability is primarily determined by the orbital's size and principal quantum number. However, the more electrons in an orbital, the more repulsion there is among them, which can slightly decrease the shielding ability.

4. How does the shielding of orbitals affect chemical bonding?

The shielding of orbitals can have a significant impact on chemical bonding. When there is more shielding, the outer electrons are less tightly held by the nucleus and are therefore more available for bonding with other atoms. This results in stronger and more stable chemical bonds. Additionally, the shielding of orbitals can affect the shape and orientation of molecules, which can impact the strength of intermolecular forces.

5. Can the shielding of orbitals be manipulated?

The shielding of orbitals cannot be directly manipulated as it is a fundamental property of electrons and orbitals. However, it can be indirectly influenced by changing the nuclear charge or the number of electrons in an atom. For example, as the nuclear charge increases, the attraction between the nucleus and electrons increases, resulting in less shielding. Additionally, adding or removing electrons from an atom can also affect the shielding of orbitals.