Optimizing Page Dimensions for Efficient Paper Usage | Homework Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the page dimensions that will minimize the amount of paper used given the printed area of 81cm^2 with 3cm margins on the top and bottom and 2cm margins on the sides. Using the equations for perimeter and area, the correct dimensions were found to be 11.35cm by 17.02cm.
xChee

Homework Statement

The printed area of a page in a book will be 81cm^2. The margins at the top and bottom of the page will each be 3cm deep. The margins at the sides of the page will each be 2cm wide. What page dimensions will minimize the amount of paper?

Homework Equations

Area= length x Width, Perimeter= 2L + 2W

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by writing a perimeter equation which is, P = 2L+2W. Then came up with a equation for each side length; length was going to be, L+4 and width was going to be, W+6. Then I subbed those equations into P=2L + 2W, which then I got, P= 2(L+4) + 2(W+6). Then I set 81 to the area formula having, 81= LW. After I isolated for w and subbed that into my perimiter equation. After that I found the derivative of it, set it equal to zero and found the dimensions of the paper was 9cm by 9cm... which is wrong...

the right answer is 11.35cm by 17.02cm... I need help D;

here's a picture of the diagram

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7226/imageccpl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The perimeter has nothing to do with the problem. Change you variables a little. Call L the total length of the paper and W the total width. Now you know (L-6)(H-4)=81. You want to minimize the total area which is LW.

Related to Optimizing Page Dimensions for Efficient Paper Usage | Homework Solution

1. What is an optimization question?

An optimization question is a type of problem that involves finding the best possible solution to a given objective, while also considering any constraints or limitations. It often involves maximizing or minimizing a certain quantity or finding the optimal values for a set of variables.

2. What is the difference between global and local optimization?

Global optimization involves finding the absolute best solution to a problem, while local optimization focuses on finding the best solution within a specific region or range. Global optimization is often more challenging as it requires considering all possible solutions, while local optimization can be more efficient but may not always lead to the best overall solution.

3. What are some common optimization techniques?

Some common optimization techniques include linear programming, gradient descent, genetic algorithms, and simulated annealing. These techniques use different approaches to find optimal solutions, such as mathematical programming, iterative algorithms, or heuristic methods.

4. How is optimization used in real-world applications?

Optimization is used in various real-world applications, such as logistics and supply chain management, financial portfolio management, machine learning, and engineering design. It helps to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and find the best solutions for complex problems.

5. What are some challenges in solving optimization problems?

Some challenges in solving optimization problems include accurately modeling the problem and its constraints, identifying the best optimization technique, and dealing with large or complex data sets. It also requires a deep understanding of the problem domain and the ability to interpret and analyze results effectively.