Optimizing Pedal Crank Forces for Efficient Cycling: A Square Wave Approach

In summary, the conversation focused on determining the forces exerted on a bicycle pedal crank by the rider in order to conduct a fatigue analysis. The forces were divided into four parts, with assumptions made for each part. The conversation also mentioned the self weight of the crank and the use of a "Cyclists Pedal thrust calculator" to aid in the analysis. Finally, an improvement to the traditional sine wave cycle of forces when pedalling was suggested.
tmccraig
I am trying to determine the forces exerted on a bicycle pedal crank by the rider so I can analyze the fatigue. I believe that I understand how to conduct the fatigue analysis but I think that the forces on the bike crank are more complicated then I have assumed them to be so far.

I know that the forces from the rider will be treated as alternating forces, but am also trying to determine if non-alternating forces exist. I was thinking that the weight of the crank could be considered a non-alternating force.

So far I have broken up the force cycle into four parts to simplify the problem. I am considering the crank forces when the bike pedal is at the top (0 deg), when the pedal crank is parallel to the ground with the pedal near the front wheel (90 deg), when the pedal is at the bottom of the cycle nearest the ground (180 deg), and when the pedal crank is parallel to the ground again with the pedal near the rear wheel (270 deg). At 0 deg, I am assuming that there is a tensile force on the crank normal to the crank ends. At 90 deg and 270 deg, I am assuming that the tensile force is angled. And that the tensile force is normal to the crank ends at 180 deg. Any suggests on whether or not these assumptions are correct would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At 90 and 270 degrees, the force of that the rider is exerting onto the pedals is *tangent* to the crank.

tmccraig: The self weight of the crank is also an alternating force, because the gravitational force is directional. However, the crank self weight is probably negligible compared to the forces from the rider.

The only time during that 4-stroke pedal cycle that 100%(disregarding mech. loss) of the rider's effort(force applied to the pedals) is being directly converted into torque is at 90 degrees and 270 degrees. this is because it is only at these two points that the pedal force is directly tangent to the cranks. at any other point in the pedal stroke, only a *component* of the rider's pedal force is converted into torque.

Can I offer an improvement to the sine wave cycle of forces when pedalling? If the downward foot movement is connected to a vertical chain which runs on two small cogs (top and bottom) and then onto a large cog behind , then all the applied force is "tangential " and is much easier and more efficient. The basic shape to keep in your mind is a large cog running forward to the small top cog, then vertically down to a second small bottom cog and then back to the large cog.All that can be geared down for a bicycle or a generator. That would represent a square wave rather than a sine wave.

Related to Optimizing Pedal Crank Forces for Efficient Cycling: A Square Wave Approach

What are the forces acting on a bike pedal crank?

The forces acting on a bike pedal crank are the rider's input force, the weight of the rider and the bike, friction, and air resistance. These forces affect the rotation and movement of the pedal crank.

How does the rider's input force affect the bike pedal crank?

The rider's input force is the force that the rider applies to the pedals to make them move. This force is transferred to the pedal crank, causing it to rotate and move the bike forward.

What is the role of friction in forces on a bike pedal crank?

Friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a bike pedal crank, friction between the pedals and the rider's feet helps to keep the feet in place and transfer the input force to the crank.

How does the weight of the rider and the bike affect the forces on the pedal crank?

The weight of the rider and the bike adds a downward force on the pedal crank, which can affect the rotation and movement of the crank. This force also affects the amount of input force needed from the rider to move the pedals.

What impact does air resistance have on the forces on a bike pedal crank?

Air resistance is the force that acts against the motion of the bike caused by the air pushing back on the bike and rider. This force can make it harder for the rider to pedal and can affect the speed and efficiency of the bike.