Optimizing Pressure Cooker Steam Release: Weight Calculation for Boiling at 120C

In summary, to allow boiling at 120 C with an outside atmosphere at 101.3kPa, the weight covering the small opening of a pressure cooker should have a mass of 50.36g. This can be calculated by using the equation f=pa and the given values of saturated water pressure and atmospheric pressure.
cd19

Homework Statement

A pressure cooker has a lid screwed on tight. A small opening with A=5 mm2 is covered with a weight which can be lifted to let steam escape. How much mass should the weight have to allow boiling at 120 C with an outside atmosphere at 101.3kPa

Homework Equations

p=f/a therefore f = pa and the mass will be equal to pa/g

saturated water pressure at 120C is .2 Mpa
atmospheric pressure is 101.3 Kpa

m = (200000-101300)(.005)/9.8 = 50.36g

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right so someone tell me if I'm correct here:

p=f/a therefore f = pa and the mass will be equal to pa/g

saturated water pressure at 120C is .2 Mpa
atmospheric pressure is 101.3 Kpa

m = (200000-101300)(.005)/9.8 = 50.36g

Am I correct?

correct!

Related to Optimizing Pressure Cooker Steam Release: Weight Calculation for Boiling at 120C

1. What is a pressure cooker?

A pressure cooker is a kitchen appliance that uses high pressure and steam to cook food quickly. It has a sealed lid that traps steam inside, increasing the temperature and pressure inside the cooker.

2. How does a pressure cooker work?

A pressure cooker works by trapping steam inside the pot, which increases the pressure and temperature. This allows food to cook faster than traditional cooking methods.

3. Is using a pressure cooker safe?

Yes, using a pressure cooker is generally safe as long as it is used correctly and following the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to release the pressure properly before opening the lid to avoid potential accidents.

4. What are the benefits of using a pressure cooker?

Using a pressure cooker can save time and energy as it cooks food faster than traditional methods. It also retains more nutrients and flavors in the food, making it a healthier and tastier option.

5. Can I cook anything in a pressure cooker?

While a pressure cooker can be used to cook a variety of foods, it is not suitable for all types of ingredients. Foods that require a crispy texture, such as fried foods, are not suitable for pressure cooking. It is best to follow recipes specifically designed for pressure cookers to ensure successful results.