Optimizing Product with Three Positive Numbers

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, to find three positive numbers x, y, and z whose sum is 100 such that (x^a)(y^b)(z^c) is a maximum, use the constraint x+y+z=100 and the maximization function g(x,y)=x^a*y^b*(100-x-y)^c. Taking the partial derivatives of g with respect to x and y and setting them to zero, you can solve for x and y in terms of a, b, and c. These values can then be plugged into the constraint to find z.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find three positive numbers x, y, and z whose sum is 100 such that (x^a)(y^b)(z^c) is a maximum.

Homework Equations

constraint: x+y+z=100
maximize: (x^a)(y^b)(z^c)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I replaced the z in the maximization problem with 100-y-z. Then I took the partial derivatives of the maximization function with respect to x and to y. Solving these, I got x=100. This implies that y=-z. But the question asks for all positive numbers. I don't know what else to do...any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
You most certainly haven't done this correctly!

I advise you to use Lagranfe multipliers.

We haven't learned that yet.

All right, then!

Post the equations you got after taking the partial derivatives and setting them to zero.

x=(100a-100ay)/(c+a)
y=100c/a
Plugging this into x+y+z=100, I get z=-100c/a

fk378 said:
x=(100a-100ay)/(c+a)
y=100c/a
Plugging this into x+y+z=100, I get z=-100c/a

This is wrong!

You are to differentiate:
[tex]g(x,y)=x^{a}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c}[/tex]
The partial derivative of g with respect to x becomes, using the product&chain rules:
[tex]\frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{x}}=ax^{a-1}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c}-cx^{a}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c-1}[/tex]

Now, if this is set to zero, it means:
[tex]ax^{a-1}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c}=cx^{a}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c-1}[/tex]
Assuming that all factors are non-zero, we may divide through, say in this manner:
[tex]a(100-x-y)=cx[/tex]
Make a similar manipulation of the equation you gain from dg/dy!

arildno said:
This is wrong!

You are to differentiate:
[tex]g(x,y)=x^{a}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c}[/tex]
The partial derivative of g with respect to x becomes, using the product&chain rules:
[tex]\frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{x}}=ax^{a-1}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c}-cx^{a}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c-1}[/tex]

Now, if this is set to zero, it means:
[tex]ax^{a-1}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c}=cx^{a}y^{b}(100-x-y)^{c-1}[/tex]
Assuming that all factors are non-zero, we may divide through, say in this manner:
[tex]a(100-x-y)=cx[/tex]
Make a similar manipulation of the equation you gain from dg/dy!

If you simplify the last equality you made, you get the same answer as I did for x.

No, you don't. For one thing, 100y will not appear anywhere.

FAQ: Optimizing Product with Three Positive Numbers

1. How do I increase the product xyz's market share?

In order to maximize the product xyz's market share, you may need to conduct market research to identify your target audience and their needs. Additionally, you can analyze your competition and identify unique selling points for your product. Implementing effective marketing strategies and constantly evaluating and adapting your product can also help increase its market share.

2. What steps can I take to improve the efficiency of the product xyz?

To improve the efficiency of the product xyz, you can start by identifying any potential bottlenecks or inefficiencies in the production process. Conducting regular performance evaluations and implementing lean manufacturing techniques can also help streamline production. Additionally, incorporating customer feedback and constantly innovating can also contribute to improving the efficiency of the product.

3. How can I reduce the production costs of the product xyz?

To reduce the production costs of the product xyz, you can consider alternative suppliers and negotiate better pricing for raw materials. Additionally, optimizing the production process to minimize waste and increase efficiency can also help lower costs. Conducting regular cost analyses and identifying areas for cost-saving measures can also contribute to reducing the production costs of the product.

4. What strategies can I use to increase the demand for the product xyz?

In order to increase the demand for the product xyz, you can focus on creating a strong brand image and implementing effective marketing campaigns. Understanding your target audience and their needs can also help tailor your product to their preferences. Additionally, offering promotions and discounts, as well as expanding your distribution channels, can also help increase the demand for the product.

5. How can I continually improve and innovate the product xyz?

To continually improve and innovate the product xyz, you can conduct market research to identify any potential areas for improvement. Gathering customer feedback and analyzing industry trends can also provide valuable insights for product innovation. Additionally, investing in research and development, as well as staying up-to-date with technological advancements, can also aid in continually improving and innovating the product.

Back