Optimizing Pseudoexperiment Sample Size for Accurate Results

• A
  • Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary, the optimal number of produced pseudoexperiments for a given setup is as many as you can reasonably compute. There is no point where adding more pseudoexperiments will make things worse, only better. This can be seen in plots where the sampled values get closer to the observed value and become more statistically constrained as the number of trials increases. Therefore, the goal should be to have as small of a relative uncertainty as possible, which can be achieved by increasing the number of pseudoexperiments.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
How can someone decide what's the best number of produced pseudoexperiments in his set up?
In particular I have a value [itex]N[/itex] which I want to vary wrt 2 nuisance parameters with relative uncertainties [itex]\delta_1,\delta_2[/itex]. I am producing [itex]n[/itex] pseudoexperiments (samples) in each calculating the mean and the standard deviation of
[itex]N_i =N_i^0 \Big[1 + \delta_1 \mathcal{N}_1(0,1) + \delta_2 \mathcal{N}_2(0,1) \Big][/itex]
How can I decide whether the [itex]n[/itex]-trials I am choosing is optimal?
I have reached the following conclusion after some thinking but I am not sure... the sample's relative uncertainty that is [itex]\sqrt{\text{Var}(N)}/\bar{N}[/itex] should be as small as possible... is that a correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is "as many as you can". There is no point where another pseudo-experiment makes things worse and not better.

Vanadium 50 said:
The answer is "as many as you can". There is no point where another pseudo-experiment makes things worse and not better.

In general I've seen plots where they show the "observed" let's say value (that they vary in each PE), and the sampled values for different/increasing [itex]n[/itex]-trials (eg 100,1000,10000,1000000)... so, the sampled values get closer to the observed value, but also they get more statistically constrained... I was wondering if by looking at something like this allows someone to decide with what [itex]n[/itex] they should go.

As much as your computers can reasonably compute. The uncertainty from the limited number of pseudoexperiments goes down, which is great.

Related to Optimizing Pseudoexperiment Sample Size for Accurate Results

1. What is the purpose of conducting pseudoexperiments?

The purpose of conducting pseudoexperiments is to test the validity of a hypothesis or theory without actually conducting a real experiment. This allows scientists to explore different scenarios and potential outcomes in a controlled setting before investing time and resources into a real experiment.

2. How do you determine the appropriate number of pseudoexperiments to conduct?

The appropriate number of pseudoexperiments to conduct depends on the complexity of the hypothesis or theory being tested. Generally, a larger number of pseudoexperiments will provide more reliable results, but the exact number may vary depending on the specific research question.

3. Can pseudoexperiments be used in all fields of science?

Yes, pseudoexperiments can be used in all fields of science. They are particularly useful in fields where conducting real experiments may be difficult or unethical, such as in social sciences or medicine.

4. How do you analyze the results of a pseudoexperiment?

The results of a pseudoexperiment should be analyzed using statistical methods, just like a real experiment. This can include calculating measures of central tendency, such as mean or median, and measures of variability, such as standard deviation or range.

5. Are the results of pseudoexperiments considered as valid as real experimental results?

The validity of pseudoexperiments depends on the design and execution of the experiment. If the pseudoexperiment is well-designed and conducted in a controlled and unbiased manner, the results can be considered valid. However, real experiments are generally considered more reliable and valid as they involve actual manipulation of variables and real-world conditions.

Back