Optimizing Volume of Inscribed Cylinder in Cone

In summary, to find the largest possible volume of a right circular cylinder inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r, draw a 2-d sketch of the vertical cross-section of the cone and use the equation of the line between the center of the base and the tip of the cone to relate the height of the cylinder to its base. This will help you optimize the volume equation.
theRukus

Homework Statement

A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

Homework Equations

Vcone = (1/3)(pi)(r2)(h)

Vcylinder = (pi)(r2)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to relate the height of the cylinder to the base of the cylinder. I'm not having much luck. All the equations I make have way too many variables to be optimized..

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
theRukus said:

Homework Statement

A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

Homework Equations

Vcone = (1/3)(pi)(r2)(h)

Vcylinder = (pi)(r2)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to relate the height of the cylinder to the base of the cylinder. I'm not having much luck. All the equations I make have way too many variables to be optimized..

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Draw a 2-d sketch of the vertical cross-section of the cone (should look like a triangle). If the center of the base is at the origin, the tip of the cone is at (0, h), and the righthand corner is at (r, 0). You should be able to get the equation of the line between these two points.

FAQ: Optimizing Volume of Inscribed Cylinder in Cone

1. What is a "Calc Optimization Problem"?

A "Calc Optimization Problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. It typically involves using calculus techniques to find the optimal solution.

2. How is a "Calc Optimization Problem" solved?

A "Calc Optimization Problem" is typically solved by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for the critical points. These points can then be evaluated to find the maximum or minimum value.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Calc Optimization Problems"?

"Calc Optimization Problems" can be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. Some examples include optimizing production processes, finding the most efficient route for transportation, and maximizing profits for a business.

4. Are there any limitations to solving "Calc Optimization Problems"?

One limitation of solving "Calc Optimization Problems" is that it assumes the function is continuous and differentiable. This may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, there may be multiple local maxima or minima, making it difficult to determine the global optimal solution.

5. What are some techniques for solving "Calc Optimization Problems"?

Some common techniques for solving "Calc Optimization Problems" include using the first and second derivative tests, the Mean Value Theorem, and the Lagrange Multiplier method. It is important to understand and apply these methods correctly to arrive at the correct solution.