Optimum Re-entry Corridor for Apollo-type Spacecraft

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacecraft
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's work on a MATLAB project for personal benefit, where they found a 1966 paper on the limits of the re-entry corridor. The control variable is the attack angle and the state variables are flight path angle, velocity, altitude, and angular displacement. The goal is to numerically integrate the equations of motion and check if the total g-force loading on the pilot is above a threshold. The speaker also mentions a penalty function for altitude and g-force loading, and shares their progress with using a set of equations for the equations of motion. They also mention a plot of altitude vs. range and provide a link to their code and the paper they are working from for further review.
roldy
I'm working on a project in MATLAB for my own personal benefit. I found a 1966 paper where the limits of the re-entry corridor are found. The control variable is the attack angle. The state variables are flight path angle, velocity, altitude, angular displacement (range), and penalty functions for altitude and g-force loading on the pilot. As of now, trying to work the limits of the re-entry corridor. This is done by numerically integrating the equations of motion and checking to see if the total g-force loading on the pilot is above a threshold. The penalty function for altitude is there in case the spacecraft skips out above the reference altitude of 150 km. I'm not concerned with this part. The pilot penalty function was digitized and an equation was fit to the curve. This equation is in the numerical integration function.

Note: I tried two different sets of equations for the equations of motion. It seems that the second set is working better and I'm getting reasonable re-entry time values.

For the time being, I'm just testing out the program (without optimizing the reentry flight path angle) with a flight path angle of 90 degrees. To check if this part of the program is working, I plotted Altitude vs. range. The range they have goes from 0 to 1. My values are on the order of 10-5.

The sets of equations I am using are as follows:
[itex]\dot{V} = -D/m+ g\sin(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]\dot{\phi} = -V\cos(\theta)/(R_E + alt)[/itex]
[itex]\dot{\theta} = (L/m - g\cos(\theta))/V[/itex]
[itex]\dot{alt} = -V\sin(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]\dot{Pilot_{pen}} = 1/\tau[/itex]
The function [itex]\tau[/itex] is in the code.

[itex]g = g_{surf}(R_E/(R_E + alt))^2[/itex]
[itex]\rho = 1.752e^{-alt/6700}[/itex]

[itex]C_d = 2(\sin(\alpha))^3[/itex]
[itex]C_l = 2(\sin(\alpha))^2\cos(\alpha)[/itex]

[itex]D = 1/2C_d\rho V^2S_{ref}[/itex]
[itex]L = 1/2C_l\rho V^2S_{ref}[/itex]

[itex]Aero_{accel} = \sqrt{(L^2 + D^2)/(mg_{surf})}[/itex]

Could someone take a look at my code and see if I am doing anything wrong? Here is the link for the zip file containing the code and the paper I am working from.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aN6dj-F_RvxTzwDYsCmGiacfCBX9xyHn/view?usp=sharing

Related to Optimum Re-entry Corridor for Apollo-type Spacecraft

What is an optimum re-entry corridor for Apollo-type spacecraft?

An optimum re-entry corridor is a specific trajectory that a spacecraft must follow in order to successfully re-enter Earth's atmosphere and land safely. This trajectory is calculated based on various factors such as the spacecraft's speed, angle of entry, and atmospheric conditions.

Why is an optimum re-entry corridor important?

An optimum re-entry corridor is important because it ensures the safe return of the spacecraft and its crew. It minimizes the risk of heat damage to the spacecraft and extreme G-forces on the crew during re-entry.

How is the optimum re-entry corridor determined?

The optimum re-entry corridor is determined through extensive calculations and simulations using data on the spacecraft's trajectory, atmospheric conditions, and other factors. This data is constantly monitored and adjusted during the re-entry process to ensure the spacecraft stays within the designated corridor.

What happens if a spacecraft deviates from the optimum re-entry corridor?

If a spacecraft deviates from the optimum re-entry corridor, it can experience higher levels of heat and G-forces, which can be dangerous for the crew and potentially damage the spacecraft. In extreme cases, the spacecraft may even burn up in the atmosphere.

How has the optimum re-entry corridor for Apollo-type spacecraft evolved over time?

The optimum re-entry corridor for Apollo-type spacecraft has evolved over time through advancements in technology and understanding of atmospheric conditions. In the early days of space travel, the corridor was much wider and allowed for more error. But with improved technology, the corridor has become narrower and more precise, allowing for safer and more efficient re-entry.