Order of Integration: How to Change from dxdydz to dydxdz?

In summary: Sorry for the confusion. I seem to have made a mistake in my previous summary. The correct summary is:In summary, the problem involves finding the value of ∫∫∫ 12y^2 z^3 sin[x^4] dxdydz over the region where y< x< z, 0< y< z, and 0 <z< (Pi)^ 1/4, which is equal to Pi/4. The task is to change the order of integration to dydxdz. The user graphs the region on the zy-plane and xz-plane, and determines that the limits of integration for z will not change, while the limits for dy must be put in terms of x and
yazz912
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
Show that

∫∫∫ 12y^2 z^3 sin[x^4] dxdydz

Region: { y< x< z
0< y< z
0 <z< (Pi)^ 1/4

Equals Pi/4
Change order of integration to dydxdz 2. Homework Equations

Order of integration
3. The Attempt at a Solution

First I graphed my region on the on the zy- plane and then I graphed my region on the xz- plane . I know my limits of integration for z will not change bc I'm still going from 0 to (Pi)^1/4

And as far as my limits for dy I have to put it in terms of x and z.
But I'm not seeing what my limits are to convert to dydxdz.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399499243.358124.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Limits are given in the formulation of the exercise. They don't change. So $$\int_0^z \, 12 y^2 dy$$ is your first to work out.

BvU said:
Limits are given in the formulation of the exercise. They don't change. So $$\int_0^z \, 12 y^2 dy$$ is your first to work out.
We are instructed to change the order to dydxdz that's why.

Think of the z as a constant. And draw a graph of your limits as you would normally do for an area of integration in two variables in the x-y plane.

Hint*: ##0\leq x\leq z, 0\leq y\leq## ? What is the line that bounds the shaded region between the y-axis and y=x?

Last edited:
xiavatar said:
Think of the z as a constant. And draw a graph of your limits as you would normally do for an area of integration in two variables in the x-y plane.
Hint*: ##0\leq y\leq z, 0\leq x\leq## ? What is the line that bounds the shaded region between the y-axis and y=x?
I would think x=y

So wrt dx limit of integration is from 0 to y?

Sorry I mixed up the x and y in my intervals earlier. The dx limit is from 0 to z and the dy limit is from 0 to x. Tell me if you can understand why this is so. Notice that the dx limit is clearly bounded by 0 and z based on your diagram, and the shaded area has to be bounded by 0 and the line y=x.

Last edited:
xiavatar said:
Sorry I mixed up the x and y in my intervals earlier. The dx limit is from 0 to z and the dy limit is from 0 to x. Tell me if you can understand why this is so. Notice that the dx limit is clearly bounded by 0 and z based on your diagram, and the shaded area has to be bounded by and the line y=x.
Ohh ok good that's how I originally had it set but wasn't sure if it was correct... But once integrated it equals pi/4 . So it works.
Referring to z as a constant really helped out to graph the xy-plane thank you!:)

yazz912 said:
We are instructed to change the order to dydxdz that's why.
Yes. Meaning: integrate over dy, then over dx and finally over dz:
$$\int_0^{\root 4 \of \pi} \,\int_0^z \,\int_y^z \, 12 y^2 z^3 \sin x^4 \ dx dy dz = \int_0^{\root 4 \of \pi} \,\int_y^z \,\int_0^z \, 12 y^2 z^3 \sin x^4 \ dy dx dz = $$
$$ \ \ \ \int_0^{\root 4 \of \pi} \, z^3 \int_0^z \, \sin x^4\, \left ( \int_y^z \, 12 y^2 \ dy \right ) dx dz $$ etc.

BvU said:
$$\int_0^{\root 4 \of \pi} \,\int_0^z \,\int_y^z \, 12 y^2 z^3 \sin x^4 \ dx dy dz = \int_0^{\root 4 \of \pi} \,\int_y^z \,\int_0^z \, 12 y^2 z^3 \sin x^4 \ dy dx dz = $$
$$ \ \ \ \int_0^{\root 4 \of \pi} \, z^3 \int_0^z \, \sin x^4\, \left ( \int_y^z \, 12 y^2 \ dy \right ) dx dz $$ etc.

That's ... not how it works.

BvU said:

This is totally wrong!

This guy did a great job in explaining it for me, maybe he can help you too

Last edited by a moderator:
@yazz912: The only way to sensibly attack a problem like this is to draw the figure in three dimensions and use it to change the order of integration. That's what you would do in 2 dimensions, isn't it? So here's a hint for this problem. I will use ##h## instead of ##\sqrt[4]\pi##. On a carefully laid out xyz coordinate system mark the points ##(0,0,0),(h,h,h),(h,0,h),(0,0,h)##. Join these points to form a tetrahedron. See if you can convince yourself that this solid gives the region that is being described with your original triple integral. Once you satisfy yourself that that is true, then use the figure to do the integration in the other order.

My apologies to Jazz, total blooper missing out on x > y. PA and Dirk are of course absolutely right, albeit not very constructively. Feodo is more helpful and LC gives the best advice. My blind spot must have come from too much physics ("never a problem" :smile:) and not enough math (can be tricky :frown:).

FAQ: Order of Integration: How to Change from dxdydz to dydxdz?

1. What is a change order of integration?

A change order of integration is a process of rearranging the order in which the variables are integrated in a multiple integral. This is often done to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When is it necessary to perform a change order of integration?

A change order of integration is necessary when the original order of integration results in an integral that is difficult or impossible to solve. It may also be necessary when the region of integration is better suited for a different order of integration.

3. How do you change the order of integration?

To change the order of integration, you must first identify the region of integration and the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can change the order of integration by rearranging the limits of integration and the variables in the integral.

4. What are the benefits of changing the order of integration?

Changing the order of integration can make the integral easier to solve, as it may eliminate the need for complicated substitutions or algebraic manipulations. It can also make the region of integration easier to visualize and understand.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the order of integration?

Yes, there are limitations to changing the order of integration. In some cases, changing the order of integration may result in a different value for the integral. It is important to carefully consider the region of integration and the limits of integration when changing the order of integration to ensure that the value of the integral remains the same.

Back