Order of operations with bras and kets

• Thread starter skynelson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary: You'll see they give the same result.In summary, the conversation discusses the order of operations with kets and when one can permute the order of the kets. The example is taken from Zurek 1991 and involves a particle in state |K> interacting with a quantum detector/system. The confusion arises from the fact that the kets |+\rangle and |d+\rangle refer to different systems, so the product |+\rangle |d+\rangle is a tensor product. The inner product \langle +|d+\rangle is not defined since it is between different Hilbert states. The conversation also addresses a typo in the Zurek paper and the importance of including \otimes symbols when switching the order of bras
skynelson
I am confused about the order of operations with kets, as well as when one can permute the order of the kets.

Question 1:
When I have a term as follows:
a^2|+>|d+><+|<d+|

...why exactly am I able to switch the order of the bras and kets as follows?
a^2|+><+|d+><d+|

I get confused about when we are able to change the order of the bras/kets and when we have to preserve their order.

Question 2: And why don't we look at the previous state and say that <+|d+> = 0? In that case the entire term would be zero, which is obviously not the case. I get that the states can't be called orthogonal because they refer to different objects, and hence to different Hilbert spaces...is that the correct answer? What, then, is <+|d+> equal to?

Those are my questions. For the setup to this question, read on...This example is taken from Zurek 1991 (Decoherence and the Transition from Quantum to Classical).

A particle in state
|K> = a|+> + b|->

interacts with a quantum detector/system, and becomes

|K>= a|+>|d+> + b|->|d->

where |d+> and |d-> stand for the up and down states of the quantum detector. (we assume the detector is not macroscopic, so we avoid any confusion about the existence of Macroscopic Quantum States).

When I create the density matrix for this state, I get
|K><K| = a^2|+>|d+><+|<d+| + b^2|->|d-><-|<d-| +...plus a couple other off-diagonal terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps your confusion comes from the fact that you are not switching the order. If, for instance:

[tex]|K>= a|+>|d+> + b|->|d->[/tex]

then

[tex]<K| =a^*<d+|<+|+b^* <d-|<-|[/tex]

Thank you, that is helpful.

So, then, if we form the projector:

|K><K| = a^2|+>|d+><d+|<+| +...other terms

(I have properly written the complex conjugate in reverse order)

...how do we move the <+| so it is next to the |+>? Clearly this is some simple linear algebra step I am missing.

Whenever you see ...<x1|x2>... , where x1 and x2 refer to one system - that is a c-number. So you move it in front of the expression and analyze what remains.
Whenever you see ...|x><x| - this is a projection operator. Projection operators belonging to one system commute with the variables of the other system - they do not affect them. This applies also to more general operators of the form |x1><x2|.

Last edited:
The kets [itex]|+\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|d+\rangle[/itex] refer to different systems, so the product [itex]|+\rangle |d+\rangle[/itex] is a tensor product, it could be written [itex]|+\rangle \otimes |d+\rangle[/itex]. Sometimes you will see [itex]|+d+\rangle[/itex] meaning the same thing.

The outer product of tensor products [itex](|+\rangle \otimes |d+\rangle )( \langle +| \otimes \langle d+ |)[/itex] can be written as the tensor product of outer products [itex](|+\rangle \langle +| )\otimes (|d+\rangle \langle d+ |)[/itex]. This is just a property of the tensor product.

The inner product [itex]\langle +|d+\rangle[/itex] isn't defined since it's between different Hilbert states. I had a look at the Zurek paper (the version on arxiv, http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0306/0306072.pdf" ) you mentioned, he has two |s next to each other like this [itex]|+\rangle \langle +||d+\rangle \langle d+ |[/itex] instead of one like you do in an inner product, except once in eqn 6, which is a typo. People often omit the [itex]\otimes[/itex] symbol for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
skynelson said:
When I have a term as follows:
a^2|+>|d+><+|<d+|

...why exactly am I able to switch the order of the bras and kets as follows?
a^2|+><+|d+><d+|
You're not. There must be a [itex]\otimes[/itex] missing, as Tomsk said. There should be a couple of [itex]\otimes[/itex] symbols in the first expression as well, but leaving them out there isn't as disastrous as in the second expression. Insert the [itex]\otimes[/itex] symbols, and then prove equality by having both of these operators act on the same arbitrary vector [itex]|\alpha\rangle\otimes|\beta\rangle[/itex].

Related to Order of operations with bras and kets

1. What is the "Order of operations" with bras and kets?

The order of operations with bras and kets refers to the specific rules and conventions for manipulating mathematical expressions involving bras and kets in quantum mechanics. It is important to follow this order to correctly calculate the outcome of quantum mechanical operations.

2. Why are bras and kets used in quantum mechanics?

Bras and kets are used in quantum mechanics to represent the states and observables of a quantum system. They allow for the mathematical description of quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement.

3. What is the difference between bras and kets?

Bras and kets are essentially the same mathematical object, but they represent different things. Bras represent bra vectors, which are the dual vectors of ket vectors represented by kets. In other words, bras and kets are related by the complex conjugate operation.

4. What is the significance of the inner product in bras and kets?

The inner product in bras and kets is an operation that allows for the calculation of the probability of measuring a specific state in a quantum system. It is also used to determine the transition amplitude between two states.

5. How do you simplify expressions involving bras and kets?

To simplify expressions involving bras and kets, you must follow the order of operations, which is as follows:

1. Simplify any brackets or parentheses first.

2. Next, combine any terms that have the same ket or bra vectors.

3. Apply any operators to the remaining ket or bra vectors.

4. Finally, use the inner product to calculate the final result.