Order of SL(2,Zp), p is a prime.

• Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the index [G:H] for the given problem is equal to the order of GL(2,Z_p) divided by the order of SL(2,Z_p). The order of SL(2,Z_p) can be determined by considering the number of possible combinations of b and d in the equation ac-bd=1, which is (p-1)^2. Thus, the index [G:H] is equal to (p^2 -1)(p^2 -p) / (p-1)^2. This can also be derived using Lagrange's theorem and the isomorphism theorem.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

Determine the index [G:H], where H is a subgroup of the group G and;

[itex] G = GL(2,Z_p) [/itex]

[itex] H = SL(2,Z_p) [/itex]

p is a prime

Where [itex]GL(2,Z_p)[/itex] is the general linear group of 2x2 invertible matrices with entries in [itex]Z_p[/itex], [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] is the general linear group of 2x2 invertible matrices with entries in [itex]Z_p[/itex] but with determinant 1.

Homework Equations

[itex]|GL(2,Z_p)| = (p^2 -1)(p^2 -p) [/itex]

Lagrange's theorem

[itex]|GL(2,Z_p)| = [G:H]|SL(2,Z_p)| [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To be able to do this, I need to intuitively work out the number of distinct cosets, or work out the order of [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] in terms of p.

I know how to derive the order of [itex]GL(n,Z_p)[/itex] (note: not necessarily a 2x2 matrix), but doing the same for the special linear group doesn't seem to be as straightforward.

I've looked at it this way, the determinant of [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] must be one, so

[itex] ac-bd = 1 [/itex] - the determinant

Thus if we let

[itex] ac = m [/itex]

Then

[itex] bd = m - 1 [/itex]

[itex] 1 \leq m \leq p^2 [/itex]

So, as [itex] a [/itex] or [itex] c [/itex] cannot be zero, [itex] a [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] can have values ranging from [itex] 1 [/itex] to [itex] p-1 [/itex]. i.e. [itex] a [/itex] can have [itex] (p-1) [/itex] different values and so can [itex] c [/itex]. So the number of matrices in [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex] is

(Number of combinations of a) times (Number of combinations of c) times (Number of combinations of b) times (Number of combinations of d)

=

[itex] (p-1) [/itex] times [itex] (p-1) [/itex] times (Number of combinations of b) times (Number of combinations of d)

=

[itex] (p-1)^2 [/itex] times (Number of combinations of b) times (Number of combinations of d)

How would I work out the number of possible combinations of [itex] b [/itex] and [itex] d [/itex] from this? Once I work that out, I should times [itex] (p-1)^2 [/itex] by those to get the order of [itex]SL(2,Z_p)[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, what if you apply the isomorphism theorem to the map

[tex]GL(2,\mathbb{Z}_p)\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_p:A\rightarrow det(A)[/tex]

??

FAQ: Order of SL(2,Zp), p is a prime.

What is the Order of SL(2,Zp)?

The order of SL(2,Zp) is the number of elements in the group SL(2,Zp), which is a special type of matrix group. This number depends on the prime number p, and can be calculated using the formula (p^2 - 1)(p^2 - p).

How is SL(2,Zp) different from other matrix groups?

SL(2,Zp) is a special type of matrix group known as a special linear group. This means that all of its elements have a determinant of 1. Other matrix groups, such as GL(2,Zp), do not have this restriction.

What is the significance of p being a prime number in SL(2,Zp)?

When p is a prime number, the group SL(2,Zp) is a finite group. This means that it has a finite number of elements and follows certain rules and properties that make it important in many areas of mathematics, including number theory and algebraic geometry.

Can the order of SL(2,Zp) be infinite?

No, the order of SL(2,Zp) is always finite. This is because the group only contains a finite number of elements, and as p increases, the order of the group also increases but will always be finite.

What applications does SL(2,Zp) have in science and technology?

SL(2,Zp) has many applications in areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and error correction. It also has connections to other fields of mathematics, including representation theory and algebraic geometry. Understanding the properties and structure of SL(2,Zp) can lead to advancements in these areas and beyond.

Back