Order Statistics/Change of Variable

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the order statistics of a random sample from a pdf can be expressed as independent exponential distributions. Linear functions of these order statistics can also be expressed as linear functions of independent random variables.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Let Y1<Y2<...<Yn be the order statistics of a random sample of size n from the pdf [tex]f(x) = e^{-x}[/tex] x ranging from 0 to infinity.

a) Show that Z1=nY1, Z2 = (n-1)(Y2 - y1) Z3= (n-2)(Y3-Y2)... Zn = Yn - Y_(n-1) are independent and that each Z has the exp distribution.

b) Demonstrate that all linear functions of Y1, Y2,...,Yn such as [tex] \Sigma a_i Y_i[/tex] can be expressed as a linear function of independent random variables.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

so [tex]y_1 = z_1/n[/tex] , [tex]y_2 = z_2/(n-1) +z_1/n[/tex] , [tex]y_3 = z_3/(n-2) + z_2/(n-1) +z_1/n[/tex] etc...

So how would I find the jacobian?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got part a, but not sure how I would do part b.

Thanks in advance.

FAQ: Order Statistics/Change of Variable

1. What is the concept of "order statistics" in statistics?

Order statistics refers to a set of statistical methods that deal with analyzing and understanding the distribution of a set of ordered data points. It involves finding the minimum, maximum, median, and other quantiles of a dataset, and can be used to make inferences about the underlying population from which the data was sampled.

2. How is the concept of order statistics applied in real-world scenarios?

Order statistics can be applied in various fields such as finance, engineering, and social sciences. For example, in finance, order statistics can be used to analyze stock market data and make predictions about future trends. In engineering, it can be used to analyze failure times of mechanical components. In social sciences, it can be used to analyze income distribution or voting patterns.

3. What is the purpose of using change of variable in order statistics?

Change of variable in order statistics is used to transform a random variable from one distribution to another. This is often done to simplify the analysis of a dataset or to make it easier to apply statistical methods. It can also be used to transform data into a more familiar or standard distribution for easier interpretation.

4. What are the different methods of change of variable in order statistics?

There are several methods of change of variable in order statistics, including the probability integral transform, inverse transform, and Box-Cox transformation. These methods involve transforming the data using mathematical formulas and can help to normalize the data or make it more suitable for certain statistical analyses.

5. How can I determine the best method of change of variable for my dataset?

The best method of change of variable for your dataset will depend on the specific characteristics of your data and the goals of your analysis. It is important to understand the underlying distributions of your data and the assumptions of the different methods before choosing one. Consulting with a statistician or conducting a sensitivity analysis can also help determine the most appropriate method for your dataset.

Back