Organic Chemistry Petroleum Fractions

In summary, petrol is suitable as a fuel due to its low boiling point and ability to combust easily, while lubricating oil is better suited for lubricating machine joints due to its high boiling point and ability to remain in liquid form. The effectiveness of lubrication is affected by the viscosity of the oil.
nicholaschean

Homework Statement

Why is petrol suitable to be used as a fuel whereas lubricating oil is more suited to lubricate machine joints?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Petrol has a low boiling point. It combusts more easily to provide energy to the car. However, lubricating oil does not combust easily due to its high boiling point and would remain in its liquid state to serve its purpose of lubricating.

I jus began organic chemistry today and i am wondering if my following answer is correct. Do guide me along

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't a question of combustion but of lubrication. How might viscosity affect lubricity?

FAQ: Organic Chemistry Petroleum Fractions

1. What is the difference between organic chemistry and petroleum fractions?

Organic chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of carbon compounds and their properties, reactions, and structures. Petroleum fractions, on the other hand, are specific fractions of crude oil that are separated by distillation based on their boiling points.

2. What are some examples of petroleum fractions?

Some examples of petroleum fractions include gasoline, diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel. These fractions have different compositions and properties, which make them suitable for different purposes.

3. How are petroleum fractions separated?

Petroleum fractions are separated through a process called fractional distillation. This involves heating crude oil in a fractionating column, where the different fractions with varying boiling points are separated based on their vaporization and condensation temperatures.

4. What is the importance of understanding organic chemistry and petroleum fractions?

Understanding organic chemistry and petroleum fractions is crucial in the production and refinement of various fuels and chemicals. It also helps in identifying the properties and potential uses of different fractions, as well as developing more efficient and environmentally-friendly processes.

5. What are some challenges in the study of organic chemistry and petroleum fractions?

One of the challenges in studying organic chemistry and petroleum fractions is the vast number of compounds and their complex interactions. Additionally, the properties and composition of crude oil can vary greatly depending on its source, making it difficult to generalize findings and processes.

Back