Organic Chemistry Synthesis/Mechanism

In summary, for the synthesis problem, you can use HBr to open the epoxide and then use a Williamson ether synthesis reaction to substitute the alcohol into the ethyl group. As for the mechanism problem, an E2 elimination reaction can form a double bond on the 3-4 carbon bond.
YachtZ

Homework Statement

Problems: http://imgur.com/qN7Iq

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

For the synthesis, I tried opening the epoxide with HBr and then adding OMe- in HOMe to substitute the Br with the OMe group in the product. However, I am unsure how to substitute the alcohol (from the epoxide opening) into the ethyl group (my friend also suggested Grignard's, but I'm not familiar with tha reaction). For the mechanism problem, I can't seem to figure out how a double bond can be formed on the 3-4 carbon bond, since an elimination on the Br would leave a double bond on the 2-3 bond. I might be completely off the right track, so I appreciate any help on the issue. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
For the synthesis problem, you are on the right track with using HBr to open the epoxide and then substituting the Br with a OMe group. To substitute the alcohol into the ethyl group, you can use a Williamson ether synthesis reaction. This involves reacting the alcohol with a strong base (such as NaOH) to form an alkoxide ion, which can then react with an alkyl halide (such as ethyl bromide) to form the ether product. As for the mechanism problem, it is possible to form a double bond on the 3-4 carbon bond by performing an E2 elimination reaction. This involves using a strong base (such as NaOH or KOH) to remove the Br group and form a double bond on the adjacent carbon. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Organic Chemistry Synthesis/Mechanism

1. What is the purpose of organic chemistry synthesis?

The purpose of organic chemistry synthesis is to create new organic compounds through various chemical reactions. This allows scientists to study the properties and behaviors of these compounds, as well as develop new materials and medicines.

2. What are the main steps involved in organic chemistry synthesis?

The main steps involved in organic chemistry synthesis include designing a reaction pathway, selecting appropriate reagents and solvents, performing the reaction, and purifying and analyzing the final product. Each step requires careful planning and precise execution to achieve the desired compound.

3. How are reaction mechanisms determined in organic chemistry synthesis?

Reaction mechanisms in organic chemistry synthesis are determined through a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. Techniques such as spectroscopy and mass spectrometry can provide information about the intermediates and products formed during a reaction, while computational methods can help predict the most likely reaction pathway.

4. What is the difference between retrosynthesis and forward synthesis?

Retrosynthesis involves working backwards from a desired compound to determine the necessary starting materials and reactions needed to synthesize it. Forward synthesis, on the other hand, involves starting with a set of reagents and designing a pathway to create a desired product. Retrosynthesis is commonly used in organic chemistry to plan complex syntheses, while forward synthesis is used in more straightforward reactions.

5. How does organic chemistry synthesis contribute to other scientific fields?

Organic chemistry synthesis plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, including medicine, materials science, and environmental science. By creating new organic compounds, scientists can develop new drugs and treatments, design innovative materials for various applications, and study the impact of organic substances on the environment.