Origin of 4-momentum - Hisorical Ref.

In summary, the concept of 4-momentum was first introduced in Minkowski's "Space and Time" in 1908. This concept defines the relationship between a particle's velocity, acceleration, and force, and is described by four equations. The original reference for this concept is often mistakenly attributed to Einstein's "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" paper from 1905, but this is incorrect as he does not mention four-vectors in that paper. The correct source is Minkowski's work.
pmb_phy
I've been dealing with the 4-momentum for too many years without knowing its origin. I'm seeking the physics literature reference to the actual article/text which this item first appeared in relativity. This I hope will give me the person's name, the year and the motivation and actual historical definition. Thank you.

Pete

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wasn't it in Einsteins "Zür Elektrodynamic der Bewegter Körper" ?

I believe it is Minkowski's "Space and Time" (p. 87 in the "The Principle of Relativity" collection)
I shall now describe the world-line of a substantial point with constant mechanical mass m, passing though P. Let the velocity vector at P, multiplied by m, be called the "momentum vector" at P, and the acceleration vector at P, multiplied by m, be called the "force vector" of the motion at P. With these definitions, the law of motion of a point of mass with given motive force vector runs thus: The Force Vector of Motion is Equal to the Motive Force Vector. This assertion comprises four equations for the components corresponding to the four axes, and since both vectors mentioned are a priori normal to the velocity vector, the fourth equation may be looked upon as a consequence of the other three.

Dimitri Terryn said:
Wasn't it in Einsteins "Zür Elektrodynamic der Bewegter Körper" ?
And in english that means...

robphy - YES! That's it! Thank you very very much. I've been trying to determine that for a very long time. Thanks.

Pete

Last edited:
One the electrodynamics of moving bodies, the original 1905 SR paper...

I re-read it, and I was mistaken, he does not mention four-vectors there. :redface:

Related to Origin of 4-momentum - Hisorical Ref.

1. What is the origin of 4-momentum in physics?

The concept of 4-momentum was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity. It is a mathematical quantity that combines the three-dimensional momentum of an object with its energy, taking into account the effects of time and space dilation.

2. How does the origin of 4-momentum relate to the history of physics?

The origin of 4-momentum is closely tied to the development of modern physics in the early 20th century. It was a crucial concept in Einstein's theories of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It also played a significant role in the development of quantum mechanics and the study of subatomic particles.

3. What were some key breakthroughs in understanding the origin of 4-momentum?

One of the key breakthroughs in understanding 4-momentum was the realization that it is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system. This led to the development of the relativistic conservation laws, which govern the behavior of energy and momentum in the universe. Another important breakthrough was the discovery of the relation between energy and mass, famously expressed in Einstein's equation E=mc².

4. How has our understanding of the origin of 4-momentum evolved over time?

Our understanding of 4-momentum has evolved significantly over time, particularly with the development of quantum mechanics. In the early 20th century, it was believed that momentum and energy were independent quantities, but now we know that they are closely related and can even be converted into one another. Additionally, our understanding of 4-momentum has expanded to include the concept of spin, which is an intrinsic property of particles that affects their momentum.

5. What are some current research areas related to the origin of 4-momentum?

Current research on the origin of 4-momentum includes exploring its role in the behavior of subatomic particles, such as in high-energy particle collisions. Scientists are also studying the implications of 4-momentum in cosmology, particularly in understanding the expansion of the universe and the behavior of dark matter and dark energy. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the application of 4-momentum in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and advanced propulsion systems.