Oriti to give Smolin Lecture #19

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lecture
In summary, this week's lectures (#15 and 16) focused on Hamiltonian quantization and the area/volume operators, while next week's lectures (#17 and 18) will cover quantum Hamiltonian dynamics. The upcoming topic after that will be PATH INTEGRAL dynamics, also known as spinfoams, which will be taught by expert Daniele Oriti. Oriti will be visiting PI around that time and will give Lecture #19 and possibly #20 on March 29, where he will be standing in for Smolin in teaching the Introduction to QG course. It was also mentioned that yesterday (March 15) there was a seminar talk at Perimeter given by Scott Aaronson, an expert in the Theory
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
this week's lectures (#15 and 16) are the Hamiltonian quantization
and the area/volume operators

next week's (#17 and 18) are quantum Hamiltonian dynamics

the natural next topic after that is PATH INTEGRAL dynamics which in this context is called spinfoams----in which area Daniele Oriti is an expert. It turns out Oriti will be visiting PI around that time and he will give Lecture #19 and maybe #20

that will be on 29 March, when Oriti will stand in for Smolin in teaching the Introduction to QG course.

Today (16 march) Oriti is giving a seminar talk at PI
http://perimeterinstitute.com/activities/scientific/seminarseries/alltalks.cfm?CurrentPage=1&SeminarID=704
A generalized Group Field Theory formalism: quantum gravity transition amplitudes and causality at the Planck scale
maybe it will be put online at the PI streamer site

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see that yesterday (15 March) a seminar talk was given at Perimeter by Scott Aaronson
http://perimeterinstitute.com/activities/scientific/seminarseries/alltalks.cfm?CurrentPage=1&SeminarID=689

he is a very smart and funny guy
as an undergrad at Cornell he wrote a paper about large numbers that anyone can read and is well worth reading. It gets a lot of hits
http://www.scottaaronson.com/writings/bignumbers.html

He also has a pretty good blog
http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/

Scott is a still-young expert in the Theory of Computation.
From my perspective the bonus point, with him, is that he can write.
he used to be at IIRC Berkeley and then at Princeton IAS, but now he is
at the University of Waterloo in Canada. This says something about UW, and the Canada research establishment. Maybe waterloo is like shoes that don't pinch, and princeton is like too tight shoes. One can only guess. And also there is Perimeter at waterloo, which might be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very excited about the upcoming lectures by Oriti at PI. The topics of Hamiltonian quantization and quantum Hamiltonian dynamics are crucial in the study of quantum gravity, and I am eager to learn more about these concepts. Additionally, the introduction of spinfoams and their application in PATH INTEGRAL dynamics is a fascinating area of research, and I am looking forward to hearing from an expert like Oriti on this topic.

Furthermore, I am delighted to hear that Oriti will be visiting PI and giving lectures #19 and #20. His expertise in spinfoams and quantum gravity will surely provide valuable insights and perspectives in the Introduction to QG course. I am also intrigued by his upcoming seminar talk on a generalized Group Field Theory formalism and its potential implications for quantum gravity transition amplitudes and causality at the Planck scale.

I am hopeful that Oriti's seminar talk will be made available online on the PI streamer site, so that even those who are unable to attend in person can benefit from his expertise and insights. Overall, I am looking forward to these lectures and seminar talk, and I am confident that they will contribute significantly to our understanding of quantum gravity.

Related to Oriti to give Smolin Lecture #19

1. What is the topic of Oriti's Smolin Lecture #19?

The topic of Oriti's Smolin Lecture #19 is the emergence of space and time in quantum gravity.

2. Who is giving the lecture?

The lecture is being given by Carlo Rovelli, a theoretical physicist and one of the founders of loop quantum gravity.

3. What is the significance of Oriti's lecture in the field of quantum gravity?

Oriti's lecture is significant because it addresses one of the fundamental challenges in physics – reconciling the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics to understand the nature of space and time at the smallest scales.

4. What are some key points that Oriti will cover in the lecture?

Oriti will discuss the concept of emergence, how it relates to space and time, and how it can be applied to the study of quantum gravity. He will also explore the role of information and networks in the emergence of space and time.

5. How can I access Oriti's Smolin Lecture #19?

The lecture will likely be live-streamed or recorded and made available online. You can also check with your local universities or physics departments to see if they will be hosting a viewing of the lecture.