Orthogonal projection - embarrassed

In summary, Duane is trying to project 3D points onto the span of two orthogonal vectors using the formula "newpoint = oldpoint-dot(oldpoint,normal(v1,v2))*normal(v1,v2)." However, when plotting the points in MATLAB, they do not appear on the plane as expected. Duane has inspected his calculations and found them to be correct, but the issue lies with the plotting function in MATLAB. He has found a workaround by creating his own plot using + points.
physical101
Hi there

I am trying to project some 3D points on to the span of two orthogonal vectors.

v1 = [ -0.1235 -0.9831 0.1352]
v2 = [ 0.7332 -0.1822 -0.6552]

I used the orthogonal projection formula

newpoint = oldpoint-dot(oldpoint,normal(v1,v2))*normal(v1,v2);

but when I plot it in MATLAB I don't get the points projected onto the plane.

Any ideas were I am going wrong?

Cheers

Duane

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. Have you inspected the intermediate results to see where it diverges from what you expect? (You could start with a simpler pair of vectors.) If still stuck, pls post the intermediate results.

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply. I went mental yesterday because I knew the math was right and subsequent calculations, such as the within plane angle, were all correct.

The problem I found was with matlabs quiver3 function. It wasn't plotting the vectors correctly and so in the end I made my own and plotted them using + points. Can't put that in a paper lol but at least it demonstrates what I was trying to do.

Thanks again for thinking about this

Duane

Related to Orthogonal projection - embarrassed

1. What is an orthogonal projection?

An orthogonal projection is a type of projection in which the projection lines are perpendicular to the projection plane. This results in a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object.

2. How is an orthogonal projection different from other types of projections?

An orthogonal projection is different from other types of projections, such as perspective or isometric projections, because it maintains accurate proportions and angles between objects in the projection.

3. What is the purpose of an orthogonal projection?

The purpose of an orthogonal projection is to create a simplified, two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object that is easy to understand and work with in technical drawings and designs.

4. Can an orthogonal projection be used in any field of study?

Yes, orthogonal projections are commonly used in various fields, such as mathematics, engineering, architecture, and computer graphics, to create accurate and precise representations of three-dimensional objects.

5. What is meant by "embarrassed" in the context of orthogonal projection?

In the context of orthogonal projection, "embarrassed" refers to the fact that the projection lines are invisible or hidden on the final projection, making it difficult to visualize the actual projection process.