Oscillating Electron Beam potential between metal plates

In summary, an electron beam is shot between two parallel metal plates and there will be an alternating potential developed between the plates. This potential is due to the electron's undulatory motion between the plates and is significant.
SunRay-dvsh
Take the case where the electron-beam is oscillating between two parallel metal plates, there will be alternating potential developed between the plates as metal tries to negate all external electric fields.
My query is,
(1) How to calculate the potential developed and possible way to simulate it ?
conductor.jpg

(2) Will the potential developed be significant ?
ParallelPlates_EField_Sketch.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Where and why do you expect any oscillation?

mfb said:

It's an equation i have derived with time varying magnetic field. At this moment before journal publication i really can't say much but i have simulated the particle trace of electron on simulation software and it gave a perfect match. The electron traverses undulatory motion(like in an undulator) but in time varying magnetic field.
Please i need help with finding the potential developed by bunches of electrons, all in same phase oscillating up and down at same frequency(also moving forward but don't require that component) between the two ends of each metal plates !

mfb said:

Thanks For the reply btw

Fair enough, but your account, nor the pictures, allow anyone to construct the situation you are trying to describe. So help the helpers help you if you can :smile:

SunRay-dvsh said:
Please i need help with finding the potential developed by bunches of electrons, all in same phase oscillating up and down at same frequency(also moving forward but don't require that component) between the two ends of each metal plates !
Retarded potentials should help, alternatively use the simulation software.

There is an electron beam shot between the two plates at some fixed point? The variable magnetic field is some external input? How does it vary in time, and does it vary in space? Why is there a charge on the metal plates? It is impossible to figure out what your experiment is if you don't describe it.

mfb said:
Retarded potentials should help, alternatively use the simulation software.

There is an electron beam shot between the two plates at some fixed point? The variable magnetic field is some external input? How does it vary in time, and does it vary in space? Why is there a charge on the metal plates? It is impossible to figure out what your experiment is if you don't describe it.

One can visualize the motion of electron like that of the dielectric material(which is basically electron mass in my case) oscillating between the two parallel plates at fixed frequency:

cap-dielectric03.jpg

The kind of charge distribution in the plates will be like this due to induced electric field of the electrons:
eplat4.gif

The electrons are NOT touching the plates,
the magnetic field is varying only in time and is externally applied. Just consider the electron motion in undulator with the electrons oscillating between the metal plates(like an undulator with two side walls)

BvU said:
Fair enough, but your account, nor the pictures, allow anyone to construct the situation you are trying to describe. So help the helpers help you if you can :smile:

True, will try to be more expressive then :thumbup:.

Related to Oscillating Electron Beam potential between metal plates

1. What is the purpose of using metal plates in an oscillating electron beam experiment?

The metal plates serve as electrodes and create an electric field that accelerates the electrons in the beam. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the electron beam.

2. How does the oscillating electron beam potential between metal plates work?

The voltage difference between the metal plates creates an electric field that causes the electrons to accelerate towards the positive plate. As the electrons move back and forth between the plates, the potential between them oscillates.

3. What are the potential applications of using an oscillating electron beam between metal plates?

Oscillating electron beams between metal plates have various applications, such as in particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and in research on atomic and molecular structures.

4. How is the oscillating electron beam potential between metal plates controlled?

The potential between the metal plates can be controlled by adjusting the voltage difference between them. This allows for precise manipulation of the electron beam and its properties.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with an oscillating electron beam between metal plates?

Yes, working with an oscillating electron beam can be hazardous. Precautions must be taken to protect against radiation and electric shocks. Proper training and safety equipment should be used when conducting experiments involving high-energy electron beams.