Oscillating pressure regulation system

In summary, the conversation is about a water system that involves a pressure valve that can oscillate (open and close rapidly) in response to high inlet pressure. The goal is to find a valve that can produce this property and achieve a high rate of oscillation. A relief valve is suggested as a solution and it is mentioned that the volume of water is not important. The system may need to be tuned in order to achieve the desired result.
Projectitis
Hi all,

I'm after a water system involving some sort of pressure valve (pressure regulator, relief valve etc - whichever gets the job done) where the inlet pressure is always OVER set-pressure, and the valve oscillates (opens and closes rapidly) in response. It is this oscillation that is desirable in my case :)

I am hoping for some sort of system that:
- Water flows through system
- Inlet water pressure builds up to be higher than set-pressure
- Valve opens (etc) that dumps inlet pressure
- In response to the lowered inlet pressure the valve closes again
- Process repeats ad infinitum at a fast rate to oscillate the valve

I am not concerned by the output. I am simply dumping the water.

Does a relief valve work like this by default?
If not, does anybody know of a valve, or a modification to a valve, that will produce this property?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Engineering news on Phys.org
Projectitis said:
Hi all,

I'm after a water system involving some sort of pressure valve (pressure regulator, relief valve etc - whichever gets the job done) where the inlet pressure is always OVER set-pressure, and the valve oscillates (opens and closes rapidly) in response. It is this oscillation that is desirable in my case :)

I am hoping for some sort of system that:
- Water flows through system
- Inlet water pressure builds up to be higher than set-pressure
- Valve opens (etc) that dumps inlet pressure
- In response to the lowered inlet pressure the valve closes again
- Process repeats ad infinitum at a fast rate to oscillate the valve

I am not concerned by the output. I am simply dumping the water.

Does a relief valve work like this by default?
If not, does anybody know of a valve, or a modification to a valve, that will produce this property?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

A relief valve will get the job done. It does work like that by default.

-Jeff

Don't expect great accuracy though. Also, what sort of volume are you looking to dump?

Thanks guys. The volume of water is not important - I am after the highest rate of oscillation I can get. I'm guessing I just need to tune the system so that the set pressure is much lower than the input pressure, but not too low to keep the valve open.

I would like to suggest looking into a pressure relief valve with a pilot operated design. This type of valve uses a pilot valve to sense the inlet pressure and control the opening and closing of the main valve. The pilot valve can be adjusted to release pressure at a set point, creating the desired oscillation effect. Additionally, this type of valve can be modified to have a faster response time, allowing for even faster oscillations. I would recommend consulting with a valve manufacturer or engineer to determine the best design for your specific needs.

FAQ: Oscillating pressure regulation system

1. What is an oscillating pressure regulation system?

An oscillating pressure regulation system is a technology used to maintain a constant pressure within a system by regulating the flow of fluid or gas. It operates by using a valve or pump to adjust the pressure, which causes the system to oscillate between high and low pressure levels.

2. How does an oscillating pressure regulation system work?

The system works by using a sensor to monitor the pressure within the system. When the pressure reaches a pre-set level, the system activates a valve or pump to adjust the pressure. This causes the system to oscillate between high and low pressure levels until the desired pressure is achieved.

3. What are the benefits of using an oscillating pressure regulation system?

There are several benefits to using this type of system. It can help maintain a constant pressure, which is important for many industrial processes. It can also reduce energy consumption and increase the efficiency of the system. Additionally, it can help prevent damage to equipment by preventing pressure fluctuations.

4. What types of industries use oscillating pressure regulation systems?

Oscillating pressure regulation systems are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, water treatment, and food and beverage production. They are also used in various manufacturing processes that require precise pressure control.

5. Are there any limitations to using an oscillating pressure regulation system?

While the benefits of using this type of system are significant, there are some limitations to be aware of. The system may not be suitable for applications that require extremely high or low pressures. It also requires regular maintenance to ensure proper functioning and may be more complex and expensive compared to other pressure regulation methods.

Back