Oscillation of fluids in a U tube.

• Thread starter Rob2024
  • Start date
Rob2024
Homework Statement
A U-tube manometer consists of a uniform diameter cylindrical tube that is bent into a U shape. It is originally filled with water that has a density ρw. The total length of the column of water is L. Ignore surface tension and viscosity.

The water is displaced slightly so that one side moves up a distance x and the other side lowers a distance x. Find the frequency of oscillation.
Relevant Equations
$U = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v^2$
We can relate the maximum speed of the fluid with the displaced energy of the fluid. Imagine a small block of fluid of height h is moved from left to the right. Then $$m g h = \frac{1}{2} M v^2$$ where $m = \rho A h$, $M = \rho A L$. Therefore $v = \sqrt{2g/L} h$, from here we know the angular frequency is $\sqrt{2g/L}$, therefore the frequency is $f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{2g/L}$.

What troubles me is that what if we moved 2h amount of fluid from left to the right, then the energy equation becomes $\rho A 2h g 2h = \frac{1}{2} M v^2$, then the frequency becomes $f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{8g/L}$. Normally we can avoid this when velocity is related to amplitude of a given point. However in fluid, all the points are moving at the same velocity because of continuity. What is the resolution for the 2nd approach that does not give correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The strategy is to write down an equation of energy conservation, and then use that to (hopefully) derive something resembling simple harmonic motion. We can denote the displacement of the water from its equilibrium position along the tube by ##x##.

Let's take the potential energy at equilibrium (##x=0##) to be zero, which you can always do. If the water is displaced by ##x## from equilibrium, then you've effectively moved a small block of fluid of mass ##dm = A \rho_w x## from the left to the right, raising its height by ##x## in the process. So the potential energy at displacement ##x## is ##U(x) = A \rho_w g x^2##. The total energy:$$E = \frac{1}{2} M \dot{x}^2 + A \rho_w g x^2$$##E## is constant, so you can take the derivative with respect to time ##t## and derive an equation for SHM...

Likes Rob2024
Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking. The problem I am having is that if I lifted ##2h## amount of fluid, then the equation seems to give me incorrect answer. Doesn't every point in the fluid move at the same velocity? Therefore I could use either ##\dot{x}## or ##\dot{0.5 x}## to find the KE of the fluid?

Rob2024 said:
What troubles me is that what if we moved 2h amount of fluid from left to the right, then the energy equation becomes $$\rho A 2h g 2h = \frac{1}{2} M v^2$$,
I think this is right.

Rob2024 said:
then the frequency becomes $$f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{8g/L}$$.
How are you getting ##f## from ##v##? I think this is where you are making a mistake.

Because every point in the fluid moves at the same speed, $\dot{h} = v$.

Let's go back to where you had a small block of height h.
Rob2024 said:
Then ##m g h = \frac{1}{2} M v^2## where ##m = \rho A h##, ##M = \rho A L##. Therefore ##v = \sqrt{2g/L} h##
Ok.
Rob2024 said:
from here we know the angular frequency is ##\sqrt{2g/L}##
This is correct, but how did you arrive at this expression for the angular frequency?

Using the spring-obj analogy $U = \frac{1}{2} k h^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v^2$, $f = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt {\frac{{k}{m}} $

Rob2024 said:
Using the spring-obj analogy ##U = \frac{1}{2} k h^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v^2##, ##f = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt {\dfrac{k}{m}} ##
Note that ##h## on the left side of the first equation is the amplitude, ##A##, of the simple harmonic motion, and ##v## on the right side is the maximum speed of the motion. So, the energy equation may be written $$\frac{1}{2} k A^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v_{max}^2.$$ When you consider the case of moving a block of water of height ##2h## from one side of the tube to the other, what is the amplitude, ##A##, of the motion?

That may be the problem, how do we define the amplitude in this case? Why do we have to use the end point of the fluid instead of the center of mass of the part of the fluid deviating from the equilibrium position? Every point in the fluid moves at the same speed.

Yes, every point moves at the same speed. Every point moves in simple harmonic motion with the same amplitude. Thus, the amplitude can be obtained from the motion of any point you choose. So, you can use a point at the surface of the fluid on one side of the tube.

From ##\frac 1 2 k A^2 = \frac 1 2 m v_{max}^2##, you can see that $$v_{max} = \sqrt{\frac k m} A = \omega A$$ You can use this to find ##\omega## from ##v_{max}## and ##A##. I believe you have already found the correct expressions for ##v_{max}## for the two cases you considered in your first post. To get ##\omega## for these two cases, you need to use the appropriate value for ##A## for each case. [Hopefully using ##A## for the amplitude will not cause confusion with using ##A## for the area of the tube.]

Likes Lnewqban
Back