Oscillation (particle movement)

In summary, oscillation refers to the repeated back and forth movement of a particle around a central point. This movement can be described as a wave or vibration and is commonly observed in various natural and man-made systems, such as pendulums, springs, and electromagnetic fields. The frequency and amplitude of oscillation determine the characteristics and behavior of the system, making it a crucial concept in understanding and analyzing dynamic systems.
Schulze

Homework Statement

A particle rotates counterclockwise in a circle
of radius 4.4 m with a constant angular speed
of 11 rad/s. At t = 0, the particle has an x
coordinate of 2.9 m and y > 0 .
Part 1: Determine the x coordinate of the particle velocity
at t = 1.22 s.
Answer in units of m/s

Part 2: Determine the x coordinate of the particle acceleration
at t = 1.22 s.
Answer in units of m/s2

Homework Equations

x = Acos(wt + d)
where d was found in a previous part of the problem and confirmed correct by the program to be:
d = 0.8511870029
v = -wAsin(wt + d); vx = -wRsin(wt) = -vsin(wt)
a = -w2Acos(wt + d)

Note R and A are interchangeable

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1:
Attempt 1: v = -wAsin(wt + d) = -(4.4 m)sin(11rad/s * 1.22s + 0.8511870029)
v = -4.360544081 m/s
Incorrect
Attempt 2: vx = -wRsin(wt)
vx = -(11rad/s)(4.4m)sin(11 rad/s * 1.22 s) ≈ -36.477666 m/s
vx = -vsin(wt) = (solution from Attempt 1)sin(wt)
vx = -(-4.360544081 m/s)sin(11 rad/s * 1.22 s) ≈ -3.286414681 m/s

Vastly different answers, don't know if incorrect because I don't want to get points deducted from score from trying random answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Schulze said:

Homework Statement

A particle rotates counterclockwise in a circle
of radius 4.4 m with a constant angular speed
of 11 rad/s. At t = 0, the particle has an x
coordinate of 2.9 m and y > 0 .
Part 1: Determine the x coordinate of the particle velocity
at t = 1.22 s.
Answer in units of m/s

at t = 1.22 s.
Answer in units of m/s2

Homework Equations

x = Acos(wt + d)
where d was found in a previous part of the problem and confirmed correct by the program to be:
d = 0.8511870029
v = -wAsin(wt + d); vx = -wRsin(wt) = -vsin(wt)
a = -w2Acos(wt + d)

Note R and A are interchangeable

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1:
Attempt 1: v = -wAsin(wt + d) = -(4.4 m)sin(11rad/s * 1.22s + 0.8511870029)
v = -4.360544081 m/s
Incorrect
Attempt 2: vx = -wRsin(wt)
vx = -(11rad/s)(4.4m)sin(11 rad/s * 1.22 s) ≈ -36.477666 m/s
vx = -vsin(wt) = (solution from Attempt 1)sin(wt)
vx = -(-4.360544081 m/s)sin(11 rad/s * 1.22 s) ≈ -3.286414681 m/s

Vastly different answers, don't know if incorrect because I don't want to get points deducted from score from trying random answers

Attempt 1: v = -wAsin(wt + d) = -(4.4 m)sin(11rad/s * 1.22s + 0.8511870029) is almost correct. You put A=4.4m into -wA. What happened to the w?

that's true. So if I multiply my result by 11 rad/s I get:
v = -47.96598498 m/s

However, is this total velocity in both x and y directions or is it the x coordinate of the velocity?

I would think that it would be the x coordinate, since we are taking the derivative of the position of the x coordinate?

Ok part 1 is correct!

at t = 1.22 s.
Answer in units of m/s2

a = -w2Acos(wt + d)
a = -(11 rad/s)2(4.4 m)cos((11 rad/s * 1.22 s) + 0.8511870029)
a = 71.13887508 m/s2

which is correct!

Thank you.

But now I have more of a conceptual question that I would like to ask? Or rather, methodological?

I have a test coming up in 2 days over Dynamics of a Rigid Body, Statics and Elasticity, Oscillations, and Waves. (All in my Mechanics class)

Since it is my freshman year, taking mechanics, as a Physics major, I was wondering how it is that others study physics, or if you both could give me words or advice on how I should approach the study of physics.

Up until this point, I would read the textbook, work problems relevant to the readings, and if I was still confused I would Google the problem or concept.
I am not dissatisfied with this method, but I was just looking for someone else's perspective.

Schulze said:
at t = 1.22 s.
Answer in units of m/s2a = -w2Acos(wt + d)
a = -(11 rad/s)2(4.4 m)cos((11 rad/s * 1.22 s) + 0.8511870029)
a = 71.13887508 m/s2

which is correct!

Thank you.

But now I have more of a conceptual question that I would like to ask? Or rather, methodological?

I have a test coming up in 2 days over Dynamics of a Rigid Body, Statics and Elasticity, Oscillations, and Waves. (All in my Mechanics class)

Since it is my freshman year, taking mechanics, as a Physics major, I was wondering how it is that others study physics, or if you both could give me words or advice on how I should approach the study of physics.

Up until this point, I would read the textbook, work problems relevant to the readings, and if I was still confused I would Google the problem or concept.
I am not dissatisfied with this method, but I was just looking for someone else's perspective.

Very welcome! What you are doing sounds fine to me, it worked for me. Except I didn't have google. But if you want more opinions on this there is a separate forum called Academic Guidance. You might want to post there. You'll probably get too many opinions, but there you go.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

FAQ: Oscillation (particle movement)

1. What is oscillation?

Oscillation refers to the repetitive back-and-forth movement of a particle around a central point or equilibrium. It can occur in various forms, such as mechanical, electromagnetic, and quantum oscillations.

2. What causes oscillation?

Oscillation is caused by a restoring force that acts on a particle when it is displaced from its equilibrium position. This force brings the particle back towards the equilibrium, creating a cycle of back-and-forth movement.

3. What is the role of frequency in oscillation?

The frequency of an oscillation is the number of cycles or vibrations that occur in a given amount of time. It is a measure of how fast the particle is oscillating and is directly related to the period of the oscillation. Higher frequencies result in faster oscillations.

4. How is oscillation different from vibration?

Oscillation and vibration are often used interchangeably, but they have slight differences. While oscillation refers to the repetitive back-and-forth movement of a particle, vibration specifically refers to the rapid back-and-forth or up-and-down movement of a particle.

5. What are some real-life examples of oscillation?

Oscillation can be observed in many natural phenomena, such as the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a spring, and the vibration of a guitar string. It is also used in various man-made devices, including clocks, tuning forks, and optical systems.