Oscillations car suspension help

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance by which a car's undamaged suspension lifts its body as four people exit the car after experiencing an earthquake. The formula used to calculate this distance is (2pif)^2 = k/(M+m), where f is the frequency of the shaking, k is the suspension's constant, M is the mass of the car, and m is the combined mass of the four people. After solving for k, the calculation of delta_x = mg/((M+m)(2pif)^2) is used to determine the distance, which results in a value of 0.016 meters.
physics_geek

Homework Statement

Four people, each with a mass of 71.7 kg, are in a car with a mass of 1150 kg. An earthquake strikes. The driver manages to pull of the road and stop, as the vertical oscillations of the ground surface make the car bounce up and down on its suspension springs. When the frequency of the shaking is 1.60 Hz, the car exhibits a maximum amplitude of vibration. The earthquake ends and the four people leave the car as fast as they can. By what distance does the car's undamaged suspension lift the car's body as the people get out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i used (2pif)^2 = k/(M+m) m = the weight of all four men

so (M+m)g-mg = k(x2-x1)

which gives delta_x = Mg/[(M+m)(2pif)^2)]

and i got .0776 m

but this is wrong? any help please

Physics news on Phys.org

(M+m)g-mg = k(x2-x1)
Seems to me it should be (M+m)g-Mg = k(x2-x1)
since you want the difference between the car alone (M) and the car with people (M+m). Might be worth stopping to figure out k so we can compare answers at that point.

well k wouldn't it just be (2pif)^2(M+m)

so at the end we would get delta_x = mg/((M+m)(2pif)^2) = .016m ??

delta_x = mg/((M+m)(2pif)^2) = .016m ??
This is delta x = mg/k
Yes, looks good. But I don't get .016. What did you get for k?
Looks like we differ in the numbers entered or calculated.

for k i got 1.742 x 10^5

what did you get?

Related to Oscillations car suspension help

1. What is an oscillation in car suspension?

An oscillation in car suspension refers to the up and down movement of a car's wheels in response to bumps or uneven surfaces on the road. This movement is controlled by the car's suspension system, which is designed to absorb shocks and provide a smooth ride for passengers.

2. How does car suspension help with oscillations?

Car suspension helps with oscillations by using springs and shock absorbers to absorb the energy from bumps and uneven surfaces on the road. This prevents the car from bouncing up and down excessively, providing a more comfortable and stable ride for passengers.

3. What are the different types of car suspension?

There are several types of car suspension, including independent suspension, dependent suspension, and semi-independent suspension. Independent suspension allows each wheel to move independently, while dependent suspension connects both wheels on the same axle. Semi-independent suspension is a combination of both.

4. How can I tell if my car's suspension needs to be repaired?

Some signs that your car's suspension may need to be repaired include a bumpy or uncomfortable ride, uneven tire wear, and difficulty steering or controlling the vehicle. If you notice any of these issues, it is best to have your car inspected by a mechanic.

5. Can I improve my car's suspension for better handling?

Yes, there are various ways to improve your car's suspension for better handling, such as upgrading to performance shocks and struts, installing sway bars, or lowering your car's center of gravity. However, it is important to consult a professional mechanic before making any modifications to your car's suspension system.