Oscillations in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the oscillation of a long, narrow bar magnet suspended as a compass needle that has a magnetic moment parallel to its axis. It is placed in a region with a horizontal magnetic field and when displaced, it will oscillate about its equilibrium position with a frequency of f= (1/2pi)*sqrt(uB/I), where I is the moment of inertia of the needle. The conversation also mentions the similarity of this equation to that of a spring's oscillation frequency and asks for guidance on how to change the equation to include the magnetic field and moment of inertia.
w3390

Homework Statement

A long, narrow bar magnet that has magnetic moment [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] parallel to its long axis is suspended at its center as a frictionless compass needle. When placed in a region with a horizontal magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}[/tex], the needle lines up with the field. If it is displaced by a small angle theta, show that the needle will oscillate about its equilibrium position with frequency f= (1/2pi)*sqrt(uB/I), where I is the moment of inertia of the needle about the point of suspension.

Homework Equations

No specific equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember from my mechanics physics class that I need to figure out what the restoring force is. However, that is where I run into my first problem. I do not know how to model an equation to show how the magnetic field will restore the magnet to equilibrium.

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation looks the exact same as the equation for the oscillation frequency of a spring f=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k/m). I know it is a harmonic oscillator, but can anyone get me started on how to change from sqrt(k/m) to sqrt(uB/I). Any help on how to start would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Oscillations in a magnetic field occur when a magnetic object, such as a bar magnet with a magnetic moment parallel to its long axis, is placed in a region with a horizontal magnetic field. When the object is displaced from its equilibrium position, it will experience a restoring force due to the interaction between its magnetic moment and the external magnetic field.

To calculate the frequency of these oscillations, we need to consider the equation for the restoring force. Since we are dealing with a magnetic field, we can use the equation F = \vec{\mu} x \vec{B}, where \vec{\mu} is the magnetic moment and \vec{B} is the external magnetic field. We also know that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement, so we can write F = -k\theta, where k is the spring constant and \theta is the displacement.

By setting these two equations equal to each other, we can solve for the spring constant k. This will give us an equation for the restoring force in terms of the magnetic moment, magnetic field, and displacement. We can then use this equation to calculate the frequency of the oscillations using the formula f = 1/2\pi * \sqrt{k/m}, where m is the mass of the object.

In this case, the moment of inertia I can be substituted for the mass m since the object is rotating about a fixed point. This gives us the final equation for the frequency of oscillations as f = 1/2\pi * \sqrt{\mu B/I}. This equation shows that the frequency is directly proportional to the magnetic moment and the strength of the external magnetic field, and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia of the object.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the physics behind oscillations in a magnetic field. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: Oscillations in a magnetic field

1. What are oscillations in a magnetic field?

Oscillations in a magnetic field refer to the periodic movement or vibration of charged particles in a magnetic field. This can occur when a charged particle, such as an electron, is subjected to a changing magnetic field.

2. How do oscillations in a magnetic field occur?

Oscillations in a magnetic field occur when a charged particle experiences a force perpendicular to its velocity, due to the presence of a magnetic field. This force causes the particle to move in a circular or helical path, resulting in oscillations.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillations in a magnetic field?

The frequency of oscillations in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the mass and charge of the particle, and the initial velocity of the particle. The frequency is also inversely proportional to the mass of the particle.

4. What are some real-world applications of oscillations in a magnetic field?

Oscillations in a magnetic field have various applications in technologies such as speakers, microphones, and electric motors. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to produce detailed images of the body.

5. How are oscillations in a magnetic field different from oscillations in an electric field?

Oscillations in a magnetic field involve the movement of charged particles, while oscillations in an electric field involve the movement of electrically charged objects. Additionally, the forces involved in these oscillations are perpendicular to each other, as electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other.

Back