Oscillations of 1.5 kg Block on Spring: Frequency and Stretch

In summary, a block of mass 1.5 kg attached to a vertical spring of force constant k=300 N/m has a frequency of 2.3 Hz after being pulled down 2.0 cm and released. The maximum and minimum amounts of stretch of the spring during the oscillations are 2.9 cm and 6.9 cm, respectively. The equilibrium position of the spring is where the mass will oscillate about with the given amplitude.
Dooga Blackrazor
1. A block of mass 1.5 kg is attached to the end of a vertical spring of force constant k=300 N/m. After the block comes to rest, it is pulled down a distance of 2.0 cm and released.
(a) What is the frequency of the resulting oscillations?
(b) What are the maximum and minimum amounts of stretch of the spring during the oscillations of the block?

(a) 2.3 Hz
(b) 2.9 cm and 6.9 cm

I used the formula T = 2(pie)(squaroot of m/k) with f = 1 /T and found the first answer; however, I'm now sure how to calculate the answers for the second part of the question. F = k*x (spring constant times displacement, but I'm not sure how that factors into the two answers.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dooga Blackrazor said:
I'm now sure how to calculate the answers for the second part of the question. F = k*x (spring constant times displacement, but I'm not sure how that factors into the two answers.
They are measuring the stretch of the spring from its unstretched position (before the mass is attached). First find out where the equilibrium position is when the mass is attached. Then realize that the mass will oscillate about that point with the given amplitude.

Thanks - I've got it now.

Related to Oscillations of 1.5 kg Block on Spring: Frequency and Stretch

1. What is the definition of oscillations in physics?

Oscillations, also known as vibrations, refer to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of an object about a fixed point or equilibrium position. This motion can be described by its frequency, amplitude, and period.

2. How is frequency related to oscillations of a 1.5 kg block on a spring?

The frequency of oscillations is defined as the number of complete cycles or vibrations per unit of time. In the case of a 1.5 kg block on a spring, the frequency of oscillations is directly proportional to the stiffness of the spring and inversely proportional to the mass of the block. This means that a stiffer spring or a lighter block will result in a higher frequency of oscillations.

3. What factors affect the stretch of a spring during oscillations?

The stretch of a spring during oscillations is affected by the mass of the object attached to it, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillations. A heavier object, a stiffer spring, or a larger amplitude of oscillations will result in a greater stretch of the spring.

4. How is the period of oscillations related to the frequency?

The period of oscillations is defined as the time it takes for one complete cycle or vibration to occur. It is related to the frequency by the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the frequency of oscillations be changed?

Yes, the frequency of oscillations can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, or the amplitude of oscillations. It can also be changed by adjusting the external force applied to the object or by adding damping, which decreases the amplitude of oscillations over time.

Back