Oscillator Problem Maximum speed & amplitude

In summary, the 800g oscillator has a maximum speed of 121.7 cm/s and a maximum amplitude of 8.97 cm. The spring constant was found to be 147.4, using the conservation of energy method.
jjd101

Homework Statement

A 800g oscillator has a speed of 120.0 cm/s when its displacement is 1.5 cm and 55.0 cm/s when its displacement is 8.0 cm.

a. What is the oscillator’s maximum speed?

b. What is the oscillator’s maximum amplitude?

Homework Equations

A= sqroot(X^2+(V^2/w^2)
Vmax=wA

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the angular frequency but even with w=sqroot(k/m) i couldn't find a way to solve for w

Physics news on Phys.org
Write expressions for the total energy for the two known points (sum of PE and KE). There will be a single unknown to solve for. After that you should be able to continue.

Conservation of energy is a powerful tool for these type of problems.

i did this and solved for the Spring constant since this is what is not given and got K=147.4 ? correct ?

jjd101 said:
i did this and solved for the Spring constant since this is what is not given and got K=147.4 ? correct ?

Yup. You should be able to continue "as usual" from here.

I did this and got max velocity as 121.7cm/s and max amplitude as 8.97cm. right?

FAQ: Oscillator Problem Maximum speed & amplitude

1. What is an oscillator problem?

An oscillator problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillating system. This system can be a physical object, such as a pendulum, or an abstract system, such as a mathematical function.

2. How is the maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillator problem determined?

The maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillator problem can be determined through mathematical analysis, such as using differential equations, or through experimental methods, such as measuring the movement of a physical object.

3. Why is it important to find the maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillator problem?

Knowing the maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillator problem allows us to understand the behavior and limitations of the system. This information can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

4. What factors can affect the maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillator problem?

The maximum speed and amplitude of an oscillator problem can be affected by various factors, such as the initial conditions of the system, the properties of the system, and external forces acting on the system.

5. Are there real-life applications of oscillator problems?

Yes, oscillator problems have many real-life applications. They are used in the design of various mechanical systems, such as clocks and springs. They also have applications in fields such as electrical engineering, where oscillating currents and voltages are used in circuits.