Osculating circle for 3D curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a parametrized equation for the osculating circle along a given space curve, and different approaches to solving it are suggested and discussed. The final solution involves using the point, unit normal, and radius of curvature of the curve to find the center, radius, and normal of the osculating circle.
jks

Homework Statement

Given the space curve r(t)=<t^2,(2t^3)/3,t>, give the parametrized equation for the osculating circle along the trajectory at r(p).

I should note this is so I can give a plot of the circle in Winplot, which is a free grapher/plotter type program.

Homework Equations

From r(t), the Frenet frame is:
T(p)=<2p,2p^2,1>/(2p^2+1)
N(p)=<1-2p^2,2p,-2p>/(2p^2+1)
B(p)=<-2p,1,2p^2>/(2p^2+1)

the radius of curvature is c(p)=((2p^2+1)^2)/2
so the expression for centers of curvature is:

<p^2,(2p^3)/3,p> + <1-2p^2,2p,-2p>(2p+1)/2 = r(p) + N(p)c(p)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok my first crack at this was to try and solve it as the intersection of the osculating sphere and osculating plane, which would give a circle. So the osculating plane's equation would be

(x-p^2)(-2p)/(2p^2+1) + (y-(2p^3)/3)/(2p^2+1) + (z-p)(2p^2)/(2p^2+1) = 0

then I chose to represent the sphere as a parametric surface:
defining x0 = (1-p^2)(2p^2+1)/2
y0 = (2p^3+6p)(2p^2+1)/6
z0 = (-p)(2p^2+1)/2
are the x, y, and z components of the center of curvature respectively.

x = c(p)cos(θ)sin(φ) + x0
y = c(p)sin(θ)sin(φ) + y0
z = c(p)cos(φ) + z0

so then I rearranged the plane's equation for x, y, and z separately, and set them equal to the parametric equation. I don't think I have to say that the equations were quite big, but I noticed that they were a linear system, so I solved it by using matrices. I'm going to stop right here because this approach didn't give me anything useful, problem #1 of which was that the parametric representation of the intersection would necessarily have been an expression of 2 parameters, giving a surface, while only 1 parameter is required for a curve, which is what I need.

I have a nagging feeling that I'm overlooking something very simple that could make this problem a lot easier. Might I be able to construct the circle, then rotate it so that it fits into place? I'm not too well versed on how to do 3d rotations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an idea. You already have the following quantities:
- The point r(p)
- The unit normal n(p)
- The radius of curvature c(p)
Then the center of the osculating circle is r(p)+c(p)N(p).
So now you have a center, radius and normal B(p) to the circle,
it shouldn't be hard if you find the right formulas...

Related to Osculating circle for 3D curve

1. What is an osculating circle for a 3D curve?

An osculating circle is a circle that best approximates a 3D curve at a specific point. It is tangent to the curve at that point and has the same curvature as the curve at that point.

2. How is the osculating circle calculated for a 3D curve?

The osculating circle is calculated by finding the center, radius, and orientation of the circle that best fits the curve at a specific point. This is done by using the curve's derivatives (first and second) at that point.

3. What is the significance of the osculating circle in 3D curves?

The osculating circle provides important information about the behavior of a 3D curve at a specific point. It helps in understanding the curvature, direction of curvature, and rate of change of curvature at that point.

4. Can the osculating circle change along a 3D curve?

Yes, the osculating circle can change along a 3D curve as the curvature and direction of curvature can vary at different points along the curve.

5. How is the osculating circle used in real-world applications?

The concept of osculating circle is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to design objects with smooth and accurate curves, analyze the behavior of objects in motion, and create realistic 3D animations.