Outer area of S = outer area of S closure, analysis

In summary: Therefore, the outer area of the closure of a set is equivalent to the outer area of the set itself. In summary, the outer area of S is equal to the outer area of the closure of S.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Show that the outer area of S = outer area of the closure of S

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand 100% the difference between the set S and the closure of S.
I know the closure is S [tex]\cup[/tex] [tex]\partial[/tex]S (the boundary of S), but then what does that mean S is? Since S is not the same as the interior of S or the closure..

Anyways,
Let A denote the outer area.

I'm starting by showing that A(S) [tex]\leq[/tex] A(Cls).

Let a partition of a rectangle which contains R, P= {xi, yj} Then
S = upper sum, 1 = characteristic function

Sp(1s) = [tex]\sum[/tex] Mij A(Rij)

Where Mij = sup{1s(x,y); (x,y) belong to Rij}

I'm trying to figure out how the rectangles are defined in S, is it just Rij [tex]\cap[/tex]S?
Then
Sp(1s) [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\sum[/tex] Mij A(Rij) = Sp1[Cls(S)]
Rij [tex]\cap[/tex] S & Rij [tex]\cap[/tex] [tex]\partial[/tex]S
Anyways once I show that A(S)[tex]\leq[/tex] A(Cls), I think the other inequality will be harder.. any tips?

If possible, could someone maybe describe it as a picture? I find I understand this stuff much better visually..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's think in R, for a minute. And let's think about the open interval (0,1) in particular. Now, think about placing a divider to the left of 0 and one to the right of 0. Now slide the two dividers together as far as they can go without actually touching either a point of (0,1) or a boundary point of (0,1). The stuff between the dividers is the closure of (0,1). In other words, it is kind of like putting a fence on the boundary points of a set and then saying everything on the inside of the fence, and the fence it self is the closure of that set.

So, open sets do not contain their boundaries, that is the difference.

Can you show that the boundary of a set S takes up no "area" (whatever "area" is)?

Yes, if the boundary has zero content. So if were to show that the area of the boundary, which is a part of the closure, has no area then they would be equal.

missavvy said:
Yes, if the boundary has zero content. So if were to show that the area of the boundary, which is a part of the closure, has no area then they would be equal.

Correct, since the closure of a set consists of the boundary points of the set and the sets interior points.

Related to Outer area of S = outer area of S closure, analysis

1. What is the meaning of "Outer area of S closure"?

The outer area of S closure refers to the boundary or perimeter of the set S, which includes all points on the edge of S as well as any limit points or points of convergence.

2. How is the outer area of S closure calculated?

The outer area of S closure can be calculated by finding the sum of all the individual areas of the boundary points and limit points of S.

3. What is the significance of analyzing the outer area of S closure?

Analyzing the outer area of S closure can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the set S. It can also help determine the size and shape of the set, as well as its relationship to other sets.

4. Is the outer area of S closure always equal to the outer area of S?

No, the outer area of S closure can be equal to or larger than the outer area of S, depending on the properties and elements of the set S.

5. How does the concept of outer area of S closure relate to topological spaces?

The outer area of S closure is a topological property of a set and is often used in the study of topological spaces. It helps define the boundaries and limits of a set within a given space.