Outward speed of salamander tongue

• Thread starter rgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the salamander of the genus Hydromantes uses its tongue as a projectile to capture prey. The acceleration graph shows a2 = 405m/s^2 and a1 = 120m/s^2 during the launch phase, and the outward speed of the tongue at the end of the acceleration phase is 5.25m/s.
rgold
A salamander of the genus Hydromantes captures prey by launching its tongue as a projectile: The skeletal part of the tongue is shot forward, unfolding the rest of the tongue, until the outer portion lands on the prey, sticking to it. The figure shows the acceleration magnitude a versus time t for the acceleration phase of the launch in a typical situation. The indicated accelerations are a2 = 405m/s^2 and a1 = 120m/s^2. What is the outward speed of the tongue at the end of the acceleration phase?
http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/ch0/EAT_13904629146110_9951108919932922.gif
i found the area under each part so from 0-10 was 0
from 10-20 was .5x10x120=600
from 20-30 was (10x120)+(.5x10(405-120))=2625
and from 30-40 was .5x10x405=2025
i added all them together and got 5250m/s but i am not getting the answer right. can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Attach figure please.

The link is asking me to log in. Take a picture with your camera and upload it.

here is the graph

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,754
Your solution appears to be right to me.

k i guess it is just a computer glitch. thanks so much for you help!

You forgot to change your units from milli seconds to seconds. Your answer must be divided by 1000.

Related to Outward speed of salamander tongue

1. How fast can a salamander's tongue move?

The outward speed of a salamander's tongue varies depending on the species, but on average, it can reach speeds of up to 50 miles per hour.

2. What allows a salamander's tongue to move so quickly?

Salamanders have a specialized muscle system in their tongue that allows them to rapidly extend and retract it. This muscle system is similar to a frog's tongue, but much stronger and more efficient.

3. Can a salamander's tongue cause harm to its prey?

Yes, a salamander's tongue is designed to catch and hold onto fast-moving prey, such as insects. It has small barbs or sticky secretions that help secure its catch.

4. How does a salamander's tongue compare to other animals in terms of speed?

A salamander's tongue is one of the fastest moving body parts in the animal kingdom. It is faster than a human's blink of an eye, a chameleon's tongue, and even some snake strikes.

5. Can a salamander's tongue movement be used for research or technology?

Yes, scientists have studied the unique muscle system of a salamander's tongue in order to develop new technologies, such as robotic arms and grippers, with fast and precise movements.